Anyone have experience with this?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Well it is only 25 mil and warranteed for 15 years. that makes me wonder how durable is it really?

My liner is EPDM, as is most folks and it measures .055" thick and has a 50 year warrantee. I know I can safely walk on mine, without underlayment, just sand, and not poke a hole in it. Being a butlyl rubber product, it will take a lot of push from roots and gophers don't care for the taste.

Why not stick with a tried and true product?

To answer your question, I have never heard of it in 40 years of ponding. I would be cautious of any PVC product.

Reaction score
Thanks. I've used EPDM in the past in NJ. Had to replace it due to unknown leaks and water loss after 3+ years. Less than a year later, even worse water loss. Since we were listing our house, I just dug it out and filled it in. Either time could never find the source of the leaks. It was a rocky area with trees and there were lots of chipmunks. Plus winter heaves, etc. We were very careful to underlay it and even used scrap liner under rocks.

I figured I might try something different now that we are in GA, like the rigid pre-formed liner, but if they crack or break, forget it. Not as flexible either.

Than I came across this. Was curious, but I guess a lot can be said for the tried and true.

How do you figure out where a leak is with this stuff or any liner for that matter?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I once suspected a leak when I had major water loss. I was convinced that something compromised my liner. My Thoughts were to let it drain till it stopped, then check the perimeter at the water line for the leak.

As it turns out, it was the Bio Filter at the top of my waterfall spilling over and saturating the dirt aound my waterfall structure. All I had to do is reduce the flow and that solved my problem.

So, my advice to anyone who is convinced their liner is leaking to let it go till it stops, then check the perimeter.

EPDM is used commericially for flat roofs for industrial complexes. That is why it is so good.

Reaction score
We were very systematic in seeking out the leaks, even replacing the hose from pump to filter (after digging it up). Very frustrating and could never find the leak. We got luck once and there was an a area in the stream bed that was diverting water but we could see that. If there is a hole in the bottom, under the rocks, all bets are off.

Do they make a bulletproof underlayment? Maybe not quite kevlar, but something that will discourage an animal from trying to eat thru it or errant root or rock?

Reaction score
EPDM does come in different thicknesses also.

I go with 60mil, which is their thickest. If you went with a thinner liner, it is more likely to get a hole or leak.

Spend the extra money and get the best liner possible.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't use underlayment. I think it is a waste of money. Instead, use sand and with that you can form your radius at the bottom as you please. Sand will never deteriorate and is much less cost and labor to use.

Ask a Question