Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm just wandering if anyone can help me identity this koi ,
WP_20180930_013 (2).jpg
WP_20180930_017 (2).jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was black patches like on the head but seams to have changed to gray hope someone hope someone can help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @j and d ! That's a pretty fish!

I'm not a koi expert so I'll leave that to someone who knows that stuff. But I wondered where you got the fish and did they tell you that it was a certain type when you bought it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fist off I'm NOT a koi expert by an)y means!... but I do know a few distinct facts that might help

Is it metallic?
Gin Matsuba is white, gray and black, and has pine cone like scale (Kujaku does too but has yellow, orange or red as well)

Or it could be a Kikokuryu which are metallic white, black and gray and do change drastically and continually as they grow ( I have 3 kin kikokuryu)

Or it could be a mix...none the less a beautiful koi! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @j and d ! That's a pretty fish!

I'm not a koi expert so I'll leave that to someone who knows that stuff. But I wondered where you got the fish and did they tell you that it was a certain type when you bought it?
This fish I got from a hobbyist he said his fish were all Japanese import's, he was only about 2 inch max at the time hes coming up for second year now and this this is second time iv looked at him and hes different, the black head spot does now have orange coming through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fist off I'm NOT a koi expert by an)y means!... but I do know a few distinct facts that might help

Is it metallic?
Gin Matsuba is white, gray and black, and has pine cone like scale (Kujaku does too but has yellow, orange or red as well)

Or it could be a Kikokuryu which are metallic white, black and gray and do change drastically and continually as they grow ( I have 3 kin kikokuryu)

Or it could be a mix...none the less a beautiful koi! :)[/QUOTE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you I think he's beautiful its the second time iv looked and he's different and not metallic, now the black head spot has started to show some orange in it, confused big much lol ill try get a picture of just that and put it up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to get a picture and you can just see the red/orange colour that's coming through now
WP_20180930_013 (2).jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dragon koi also known as kikokuryu koi, iv looked at them but I wouldn't say hes metallic, I did look at the kumonryu koi the none metallic version but can't find one that looks like him ,maybe hes just a unique one lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dragon koi also known as kikokuryu koi, iv looked at them but I wouldn't say hes metallic, I did look at the kumonryu koi the none metallic version but can't find one that looks like him ,maybe hes just a unique one lol
Hi,
kikokuryu is a Dragon!
The definition of "Metallic" is when the color is bright and a bit shining, rather than dull and opaque in my opinion your fish is metallic, not sparkly (GinRin) which is a different thing, but it looks metallic to me.

I can't say that I see the red/orange you speak about, but that could be my (@#%$#) pc's fault:D
What I would've liked was a better shot at the scales. because they kinda look pine-cone to me and unless your fish is a mix, I only know Matsuba and Kujaku that are metallic and have scales like that.
Search kujaku and Gin Matsuba and take a good look "at the scales" notice how each one is well defined (like a pine cone)and compare those of your koi ...if they look nothing like it, then I'd say you have a Dragon (Kikokuryu or "kin kikokuryu if it develops other colors) and that would definitely explain the rapid and frequent changes in patterns

Please don't get me wrong, even if it turns out to be a mixed breed, it is still a wonderful specimen, all recognized breeds started out by mixing different kinds!:)

I hope this helped!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
kikokuryu is a Dragon!
The definition of "Metallic" is when the color is bright and a bit shining, rather than dull and opaque in my opinion your fish is metallic, not sparkly (GinRin) which is a different thing, but it looks metallic to me.

I can't say that I see the red/orange you speak about, but that could be my (@#%$#) pc's fault:D
What I would've liked was a better shot at the scales. because they kinda look pine-cone to me and unless your fish is a mix, I only know Matsuba and Kujaku that are metallic and have scales like that.
Search kujaku and Gin Matsuba and take a good look "at the scales" notice how each one is well defined (like a pine cone)and compare those of your koi ...if they look nothing like it, then I'd say you have a Dragon (Kikokuryu or "kin kikokuryu if it develops other colors) and that would definitely explain the rapid and frequent changes in patterns

Please don't get me wrong, even if it turns out to be a mixed breed, it is still a wonderful specimen, all recognized breeds started out by mixing different kinds!:)

I hope this helped!
Hi Thanks for your reply someone had a look at him and said hes a kage shiro utsuri and suppose he does look like one,
Do you think he is one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Thanks for your reply someone had a look at him and said hes a kage shiro utsuri and suppose he does look like one,
Do you think he is one.

Who's the "someone" @j and d ? Do you have reason to think they may not know what they're talking about?

We'd love to see the pond this guy is in!

Ask a Question