Anyone used an intex type pool for collecting fry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't misquote me, Dave. I said that the anoxic filtration system did not work as Dr. Novak described. The exact same processes take place in the sediment of any pond, earth-bottom or lined.
Totally sorry if I at all misqouted you Meyer but thats what I thought you said sorry my friend appologies .accepted I hope ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm guessing, but around 25 - 30 fry. If I don't upgrade my filtration this spring, I'll probably rehome two adult koi, brining my total to three lg koi. My pond is only 1700 gallons, my koi have really grown and my filters get dirty quickly, so looking to minimize my cleanings.

The year before I rehired about 60 comet and shubunkin and had the gravel removed from the bottom of my pond..it has become very dirty and my lilies had gone hay wire! I was able to place them all into a goldfish sanctuary, locally. So imagine my surprise when I returned from caring from my father, to see fry in the pond! I'd advised hubby to lift floating baskets when fish spawned, but obviously that plan did not work!!!

I'm not sure what to suggest for catching all those little buggers. Please do let us know what you end up doing though and how it went for you.

Do you have any idea of the sex of each of your koi? Or maybe you can get someone to come over and help you figure it out? If you do decide that you need to re-home any of them maybe you can keep all male or all female? That would eliminate any overstocking issues in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmm, at night? How will I see the little devils? Last Fall while trying to catch the fry, one of my bigger koi jumped out of the pond, then back into the pond. That is when I gave up!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They say use a flashlight .It worked for me got 2 little ones last night and people will be here in an hour to pick them up and the little ones in the stock tank .I put a free ad up here and got 20 calls in one day .They are taking all 10 of them for there pond that they built last year .There first fish.I try to keep the fish at only 16 fish in a 5000 gallon pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, I might try that...if hubby would help hold the flashlight! I'd keep my five koi, but I'd also be fine with just three. You have a nice sized pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have one of those led lights you put on your head .It is super bright and where i see them the light goes so it is better than someone holding the light

Ask a Question