Anyone used an intex type pool for collecting fry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would say a eco-system pond is as near to a natural pond as your going to get Maria the type of pond Meyer creates for people with his pond business but I agree 100% with what is being said on the koihealthifo site
When we do a water change we change approximately 30-40% of the ponds water
However I find I have to agree with what your saying about ponds and water changes perhaps Meyer will fill us in a little more on his ponds, he was rather scathing of the anoxic system saying it didnt work but when I ran KKU Dr Novak was more than happy to share his results with people and I know of a working anoxic pond run in Plymouth by one of our members here on the forum

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Meyer Jordan, post: 259969, member: 7131" Water changes are normally not necessary in an eco-system pond.

meyer, can you please give the definition of an eco-system pond?[/QUOTE]

An eco-system pond supports various communities of organisms dependent on each other for nutrients and survival. It consists of abiotic and biotic components. The basic abiotic components are water, oxygen, carbon dioxide, salts, nitrogen, etc.
"Only a small amount of these elements are present in soluble state in pond water,but a large amount is held in reserve solid form in the bottom sediments as well as within the organisms.Various organisms get their nourishment from these abiotic substances.The rate of release of reserve nutrients ,the solar input and the cycle of temperature ,day length
and other climatic conditions regulate the function of the Pond ecosystem." Tutorvista.com
The biotic components consists of:
Producers-The biofilm, periphyton and phytoplankton.
Consumers-Zooplankton, insect larvae and nymphs, and animals.
Decomposers- The various bacteria and fungi.
Some combination of all of these elements is required.
A dedicated Koi pond will be missing one or more of these components.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would say a eco-system pond is as near to a natural pond as your going to get Maria the type of pond Meyer creates for people with his pond business but I agree 100% with what is being said on the koihealthifo site
When we do a water change we change approximately 30-40% of the ponds water
However I find I have to agree with what your saying about ponds and water changes perhaps Meyer will fill us in a little more on his ponds, he was rather scathing of the anoxic system saying it didnt work but when I ran KKU Dr Novak was more than happy to share his results with people and I know of a working anoxic pond run in Plymouth by one of our members here on the forum

Dave

Don't misquote me, Dave. I said that the anoxic filtration system did not work as Dr. Novak described. The exact same processes take place in the sediment of any pond, earth-bottom or lined.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well Meyer your idea of an ECO Pond is okay but mine definition is as follows :)

Water with movement
fish
ducks
plants
birds
dragonflies

Coming all together in front of my chair while the camp fire is burning (y)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well Meyer your idea of an ECO Pond is okay but mine definition is as follows :)

Water with movement
fish
ducks
plants
birds
dragonflies

Coming all together in front of my chair while the camp fire is burning (y)
That is not my definition, but science's. What you describe is referred to as a Wildlife pond, which coincidentally is usually an eco-system pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've done regular water changes, but small ones, where I set the timer and overflow the pond. I'm envisioning having to practically drain my pond to catch these little buggers. I tried really hard, with two people in the pond with nets last fall, to no avail.

When I had pond work done last Spring I had them save several life stock tanks of pond water, to which I added tap and decholorinator. I just don't have experience completely draining the pond and starting with all new water, which is why I'm trying to figure out a plan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You could easily make holding tanks out of rubber liner and 2x4s. Screw it all together and it will come apart very easy for storage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now I see Tula, I would not recommend draining and completely replacing the entire pond. That could very well cause issues for your fish especially this time of year.

Any idea about how many fish you are looking to remove from the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you do water changes in your pond Rob?
I run a water trickle directly into the skimmer box during the hottest months with 1/4 inch line. I did try one of those auto shutoffs but my pump was to strong so that did not work well. I now control the flow right from the hose faucet. I am on a well and my well water is great right out of the tap. When I due major cleanings with the vacuum or just want to add some fresh water, I just run the hose into the pond and let it flow out my overflow. I do put the hose closer to the bottom. BTW the fish love the hose being on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Now I see Tula, I would not recommend draining and completely replacing the entire pond. That could very well cause issues for your fish especially this time of year.

Any idea about how many fish you are looking to remove from the pond?
I'm guessing, but around 25 - 30 fry. If I don't upgrade my filtration this spring, I'll probably rehome two adult koi, brining my total to three lg koi. My pond is only 1700 gallons, my koi have really grown and my filters get dirty quickly, so looking to minimize my cleanings.

The year before I rehired about 60 comet and shubunkin and had the gravel removed from the bottom of my pond..it has become very dirty and my lilies had gone hay wire! I was able to place them all into a goldfish sanctuary, locally. So imagine my surprise when I returned from caring from my father, to see fry in the pond! I'd advised hubby to lift floating baskets when fish spawned, but obviously that plan did not work!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
need birth control for fish :ROFLMAO:I thought I gave all my babies away but took lotus and lily plants in from the lotus pond and happened to look in there and there were more babies .I am guessing frogs moved the eggs to there on there bodies .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
need birth control for fish :ROFLMAO:I thought I gave all my babies away but took lotus and lily plants in from the lotus pond and happened to look in there and there were more babies .I am guessing frogs moved the eggs to there on there bodies .
At times I second guess my decision to keep my koi and rheum the others....but guess they all reproduce quickly - ha ha!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The problems started as my koi got bigger ,when they were small there were not as many problems .Now they are around 2 ft long .I did not give them growth food because I did not want them to get big fast .But I never expected they would get this destructive .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The problems started as my koi got bigger ,when they were small there were not as many problems .Now they are around 2 ft long .I did not give them growth food because I did not want them to get big fast .But I never expected they would get this destructive .
I know. I've resorted to placing lilies in oil pans and covering / zip tying with deer fencing, to keep them out. They are beautiful to watch though :) I think my biggest one is over 2 feet.

Ask a Question