Apline mechanical Filter, Model 3,000

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
skimmers alone arent really the best way to go for filtration...most fish fecal matter and debris end up on the floor of the pond...there they will sit without a draw from the bottom. either the pump or prefilter with a submersable, or bottom drain with external pump. with a skimmer alone i would buy a vaccuum....just my opinion!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, having only a skimmer is asking for some really bad water below and a place for Dropsy to occur in otherwise healthy Koi.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
lauraleellbp said:
Could you post a picture? That might show better where you could finagle some space...

Is your pump just sitting in the bottom of your pond?

Have you considered installing a skimmer and running your pump inside/behind your skimmer instead? The skimmer could provide some mechanical for you.

Or if a waterfall is an option rather than a fountain as a return, there's lots of both commercial units and ways to DIY a filter-waterfall.

Laura, pic? sure, see below. As to the skimmer, I will postpone it because my pond is netted all around a canopy to keep critters and leaves away. As to a waterfall, I personally prefer a fountain with 3 nozzles instead, see pics below.

My plumbing setup and photos (except no pic for savio pump because it is submerged in 3 feet of water.)

Code:
Savio	--->	hooks 	--->	A mechanical	--->	hooks 	--->	Pro-line	--->	hooks 	--->	DIY	

pump		up to		filter,replaced		up to		Bio filter		up to		Fountain

DSC01229.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

Ask a Question