Apline mechanical Filter, Model 3,000

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards

How is the above filter? Will you guys recommend it? If no, will you recommend another one for me? Right now my Proline bio-filter (model# 4,000-UV) is working out OK, but I need to replace my broken Hozelock mechanical filter ASAP. Thanks in advance for your pointers.

Alpine-Bio-Pure-Pressure-filter.jpgA.jpg

Alpine-Bio-Pure-Pressure-filter_cut-a-way-WO-UV.jpgA.jpg

Details:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...000"+"filter"+"pond"&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I purchased the Alpine 3000 filter last year. The store I bought it from warned me against it but it was what I could afford at the time. They were right, it is no good. There is no backflush on it so you have to take it apart to clean it and it clogs quickly. Also the UV quit working the first year. Save your money-

Reaction score
mrsclem said:
I purchased the Alpine 3000 filter last year. The store I bought it from warned me against it but it was what I could afford at the time. They were right, it is no good. There is no backflush on it so you have to take it apart to clean it and it clogs quickly. Also the UV quit working the first year. Save your money-

Thanks for your feedbacks. Unlike Alpine 3000 filter, my $650-bio-filter get all the great features:

1) backflush option,
2) great working UV,
3) never-clogged-built-in-engineering,
4) never-needed-to-open-for-cleaning for the whole season!

However, my $650 filter gets only one fatal fault: It cannot do what a cheap mechanical-filter does..., mainly catching and filtering out fishy droppings and debris with foam-spongy-like-filters!

My $650 bio-filter :)
DSC01104.jpg

DSC01100.jpg
[/

My broken Hozelock filter:
DSC00223.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

Somehow it's my bad luck that my Hozelock filter had gone busted, and the Hozelock filters seem to be gone out of the market (DISCONTINUED! per sellers):
http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com//Hozelock_Cyprio/Hozelock_BioForceUVC_Pond_Filter.shtml

I

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Many of these expensive filter companies are out of business or have discontinued a model, just when you need parts.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Tell him, Dave. Check out the DIY section of the site. DrDave has a great DIY biofilter, cheap and easy to build. There are several others, too, depending on the size of your pond. Since you build it yourself, you can always get parts.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is hard to beat the DIY method. Cost, performance and maintenance wise.
I have people from all over the county come by just to see for themselves how it works and the ease of cleaning. One lady who had just spent several hundred for her pressurised filter is returning it up-opened after seeing mine.

Reaction score
stroppy said:
you might still be able to get the parts you need for the hozelock there are many places on line that still sell them, have you tried putting it into google ?

Sir Stroppy, thanks for your suggestion. I found a great Hozelock dealer, and it's VERY FAR AWAY for me... it's in your "neighborhood". :)

bioforce%20spare.JPG

This is an outlet-head I need to replace my broken one.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...rce+UVC+outlet+head"&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Unfortunately, the Hozelock-dealer is in Birmingham, UK., NOT Birmingham, USA!

DrDave said:
It is hard to beat the DIY method. Cost, performance and maintenance wise.
I have people from all over the county come by just to see for themselves how it works and the ease of cleaning. One lady who had just spent several hundred for her pressurised filter is returning it up-opened after seeing mine.

Doc, how do you build a pressurized DIY-mechanical-filter? I saw your DIY-bio-filter...Hmm.. very nice. However, I didn't see a pressurized DIY-mechanical-filter.

It will be FANTASTIC if we can home-make a pressurized filter...almost like HydroMax.

HydroMax Mechanical Filter:
emperor_hydro1.jpg

emperor_hydro.jpg

hydromax_super.gif

I almost purchased the above HydroMax mechanical filter, but I didn't because HydroMax is not a pressurized filter, and my fountain needs pressurized water to run it... Hmm... that's the story of my life... I just can't get lady-luck on my side most of the time. :)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I did make a fines filter that is pressurized. When I get time I'll post the photos on my web site. It works so well that I have to clean it every 15-30 minutes. I only use it when I run my large waterfall.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I did make a fines filter that is pressurized. When I get time I'll post the photos on my web site. It works so well that I have to clean it every 15-30 minutes. I only use it when I run my large waterfall.

OK Doc. I look forward seeing the photos. By the way, AZponds-Shop gets some great photos of HydroMax. Click the link below to see the pictures. Jeez, I love that meticulous diagram of HydroMax shown in the picture. That meticulous diagram should give a handyman an idea in how to homemake one.

2qdwdnr.gif

www.azponds.com/hydromax_diagram1_rhino_.jpg
www.azponds.com/hydromaxlogo1.jpg

Reaction score
Reaction score
What's your entire plumbing setup like?

I was considering a pressurized filter too at one point b/c I also have space issues with my pond build, so I've decided I'm going to use one of the Laguna Skimmer Filters and then run a submersible pump out of the back of the unit: http://cgi.ebay.com/LAGUNA-KOI-FISH...814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563fae732e

They aren't cheap, but I think it's the solution for my own space problem, and will combine skimmer, mechanical, biofiltration and pump housing all in one unit. I'm running the pump to my waterfall for the return.

Reaction score
lauraleellbp said:
What's your entire plumbing setup like?

I was considering a pressurized filter too at one point b/c I also have space issues with my pond build, so I've decided I'm going to use one of the Laguna Skimmer Filters and then run a submersible pump out of the back of the unit: http://cgi.ebay.com/LAGUNA-KOI-FISH...814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563fae732e

They aren't cheap, but I think it's the solution for my own space problem, and will combine skimmer, mechanical, biofiltration and pump housing all in one unit. I'm running the pump to my waterfall for the return.

Laura, now that's a great idea... an one-unit-do-it-all-apparatus :)! I wonder why no engineer can come up with it. It's like an automatic finger-nail-cutter... They will sell out like hot cakes if they're in the market for sales!

Anyway, here's my plumbing setup:

Code:
Savio	--->	hooks 	--->	A mechanical	--->	hooks 	--->	Pro-line	--->	hooks 	--->	DIY	

pump		up to		filter (broken)		up to		Bio filter		up to		Fountain

Reaction score
Could you post a picture? That might show better where you could finagle some space...

Is your pump just sitting in the bottom of your pond?

Have you considered installing a skimmer and running your pump inside/behind your skimmer instead? The skimmer could provide some mechanical for you.

Or if a waterfall is an option rather than a fountain as a return, there's lots of both commercial units and ways to DIY a filter-waterfall.

Ask a Question