Mechanical Filtration DYI STYLE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a pond expert.
This filtration set up has kept my pond clear----not algae free, thankfully because the algae contributes to the gold fishes meal.
The heart of the system is a 2600 gal/hr Pond Master water fall pump that sits in a skimmer box
My initial set up used blue furnace filter and quilt batting as a pre filter . I was cleaning these weekly in a bucket of pond water. This year I switched out the blue furnace filter for Matala pads. I pull the Matala pads and bang out the MUCK monthly. Still swap out quilt batting weekly.
image.jpeg
Spring thru fall I have an external bottom drain that is teed off in the sump. One connection goes to the pump the other pulls water into the sump thru the pads. In the Winter I disconnect the bottom drain and run the pump pulling water thru the sump only.

The pump pushes the water to a100 gallon Rubbermade tank. Inside the tank is a 1 x 2 ft egg grate light diffuser shelf with yellow flag iris connected . First pic July 2014 next pic this week. First two years I was able to pull this out but now the roots have become massive and I can't budge it. This " veggie filter" set up was written by Jamie Boyer in Pond Trader Mag. I added water hyacinth after seeing a you tube video. But not much room any more for the hyacinth .
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg This is top view of shelf set up

There are three outlets allowing the water to flow down a 2 tiered stream to the approx 1300 gal pond.
Prior to entering the outlets the water is mechanically filter by one black Matala pad and quilt batting
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Traveling down the 2 streams the water flows thru a heard of marginal plant roots trapping more muck
image.jpeg
The pond is in its 3rd full season and this year there was no green water. The bottom is visible and all the inhabitants seem happy and healthy. It's been fun tweaking this and I'm glad I didn't buy a commercial filter system.

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated or discribe your mechanical filtration set up here.

One finally thought..... NO UV light !!!!!

Ok maybe one more final thought. For new pond builders who experience green water ,as I did first year and half, BE PATIENT AND STAY AWAY FROM CHEMICALS.

ONE MORE THING ---hopefully--- maybe you don't like algae but my fish believe it's a gourmet meal..especially string algae and all the baby snails and micros that get trapped in it. I pull it from the stream and throw some into the pond . the fish come flying over to munch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
This is water immediately out of Rubbermaid tank and pond
image.jpeg image.jpeg Pond water is clear

Top view seeing settlement in Rubbermaid and pond
image.jpeg image.jpeg Again pond is free of debris

I'm betting the fish frogs snails and other critters are in a good environment :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
That egg crate sits how far up off the bottom of the tank? And what is below it?
Thank you again for all of this.
The egg crate sits approx 4-6 inches below the water line. This design is to allow the roots to fill downward into the tank. The top and bottom frame is 1 X 2 feet PVC. The frames are held together with PVC legs in each corner. The weight bearing load is minimal because the roots all lie underneath. There is no pea grav or substrate just roots. I was able to easily lift this out the first 2 seasons and placed it in the deep end of the pond in the winter, Tried to get it out last winter and could not budge it. Thankfully it survived the winter and as the pictures show is thriving.

For your application with the pea gravel I would add more horizontal support to the too frame and maybe even a middle row of legs. Maybe make a mini one and dry test it's ability to handle the weight ...Have fun. End products are usually the result of many trials

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Truth.
We will see, I'm also considering just getting a second filter and moving plants into a stream configuration. I need to get out and play with the area and just see what will work best.
Google Jamie Boyer Pond Trader Magizine : Veggie Filtration. My design uses info from his article. I use plants in my stream as well. Can't account for how much they contribute but if nothing else IMHO it looks good :)

Ask a Question