approx 900g pond build in RI (pics of course)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you power wash your pond in the spring every year you will be starting over with the new pond murky water, green water syndrome. Best to just vacuum it , clean leave the side algae alone, it is good stuff.

My water temperature has bounced around, it does not seem to bother the fish, been as high as 88 now down to 81 depends on our weather lol. Mine is in full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
i got a few lilies in 2 plants actually. how often do people fertilize and what do ya use to do it?

77fc5b40.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cilyjr said:
i got a few lilies in 2 plants actually. how often do people fertilize and what do ya use to do it?

I use some pond plant tabs, others have used the tomato spikes. Currently my fish don't poop enough to fertilize all the plants in my pond and bog, I stick a tab in every 3 weeks or so, about every 4th grooming, ie cutting off yellow leaves and dead flowers.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I started out using the plant tabs but now for a couple yrs haven't used anything but the fish themselves. Next Spring I need to re-pot them as they are getting to big for their britches :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need more fish poop! I am sure next year I will have more when these lil fry get growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
things are going well here. i have 4 gold fish 1 small koi and a small catfish. a may add another shubunkin at some point but i think what i have is good for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
the grass is growing nicely (which suprised me) new seed dont like to grow here in late july/ aug. and i found a good garden pond store that is reasonably priced locally. i got 2 big water lilies one has yellow flowers the other has multi colored blooms. they are both hardy lilies. i think i will stay away from the more tropical ones.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tropicals are really pretty, but you need to pull them in the fall, if you water does not warm up enough they may not do real well where you are at.

I prefer hardies, have just a few tropicals that were given to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
my wife's uncle has had a pond for the last 10 years or so. i had never been over to see it. well we got the opportunity to stop by last wed. WOW it is awesome. i think he said it is about 2000 gallons. the landscaping and everything was great. i got alot of new ideas. i think my little river bed is getting reworked in the fall...

i got some new plants..a king of blue iris, arrowhead, water marigold ..and something else which the name escapes me. all are hardy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great, it is fun to see other ponds and pick up ideas. Love free plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
since i was never happy with the stream i decided to redo it over the last couple days. i wanted to change 2 things. number 1 my wife wanted more of a waterfall rather then the "trickle" that was there. and 2ndly i wanted more of a stream that had some moving water that pooled up a bit. the unfortunate part is i used about 100 cans of waterfall foam to build the first "stream" this was partly because i had no idea what to do. well as i am sure alot of you know taking it apart was a bit of a pain. after that was done i pulled back the liner and dug out where the new fall would be. this time i was more mindful with how my rocks fit together and was smart enough to dig out a bit lower where one of the larger pieces sat. the face lift only took a few hours but i am much happier with the results...i gotta say though i think i may want a higher gph pump now :) before lft after rt

pond-compare.jpg

Ask a Question