ARE FISH MORE "SOCIAL" THAN WE THOUGHT?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've had 9 new fish in QT for the past 3 weeks. Due to a crazy, out-of-town schedule (son's Freshman orientation, plus I'll be spending the next week with our troop at Boy Scout camp), I released three of the fish after 2 1/2 weeks, and just released the remainder.

So, one of my theories about quarantining fish, is that these fish tend to be better adjusted after those weeks of being in the QT, or at least seem to adjust better once released. IOW, mine did NOT immediately HIDE, in fact never hid. They were instantly, a part of the heard. And when I put the 1st 3 in the pond, they tended to stick together. Even if they swam apart, and as part of the herd, they got back together. Guessing they recognized each other????

When I added the last 6 fish, I noticed EXACTLY THE SAME BEHAVIOR! But not only within that grouping of 6, but all of the original 9 were schooling together, bumping noses, etc. And again, when they did un-school (new word), those 9 showed this same behavior whenever they met up with their "buddies!"

I watched them for a long time, and more this morning, and it's still going on. I really believe they recognize each other! Either that, or I bought some psychic fish (psychic phish?)!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Fish are often shorted when people start taking about what they know or how they act.

Here is one for you. I pulled all the goldfish from my big pond and put them randomly into nearly identical ~150g containers one the same filter. One would think that all the containers would act the same regrading hiding but they did not. They differ in terms of their boldness and fear. I am guessing one scared stupid goldfish can spook the entire lot or one really bold one can ease the others fears..

This was far from scientific but I see it as typical.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Yes, fish are definitely more social than we think. I've noticed that my aquarium fish all have different personalities and act differently. Some are shy, some are aggressive. They have a lot more personality than most people think.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
We have four smaller goldfish that were born in the pond last year after moving water hyacinths to a fish-less tub garden, after discovering them we put them in an aquarium all winter so they could grow. Now they are out in the pond and decent sized but I still notice they all four still stay together for the most part.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
NIck I have even noticed that fish with simlar shape school. Not sure about color.

I know I have told this story before. We had a little lion head that acquired the name bully. He would chase other fish in every tank we put him in and it was not spawning. Just plain mean. Finally we put him out in our first in ground pond which had both comets and koi. He was much smaller then the comets but schooled with the koi. It was fun to watch him work on keeping up.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
HTH said:
NIck I have even noticed that fish with simlar shape school. Not sure about color.

I know I have told this story before. We had a little lion head that acquired the name bully. He would chase other fish in every tank we put him in and it was not spawning. Just plain mean. Finally we put him out in our first in ground pond which had both comets and koi. He was much smaller then the comets but schooled with the koi. It was fun to watch him work on keeping up.
Maybe like most bullies He just thought he was bigger than he really was so he fit in with the koi! :) Can't help but picture the old cartoon characters Chester and Spike!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
HTH said:
Fish are often shorted when people start taking about what they know or how they act.

Here is one for you. I pulled all the goldfish from my big pond and put them randomly into nearly identical ~150g containers one the same filter. One would think that all the containers would act the same regrading hiding but they did not. They differ in terms of their boldness and fear. I am guessing one scared stupid goldfish can spook the entire lot or one really bold one can ease the others fears..

This was far from scientific but I see it as typical.
I think you may have something there, Howard. A single chagoi will have a calming effect in a pond of otherwise skittish koi, and I believe it's because a brown fish stands less of a chance of being singled out by a predator, so it has less reason to be shy. This in turn rubs off on the other koi, making them more apt to come to you for food, or even attention.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I thought about this yesterday when I was watching my fish.

My 3 shubunkins came together and they play with each other. They are the biggest and always seem to be together. I put this little children beach bucket in the water (in an attempt to catch the goldfish, man they are hard to catch, how did you guys do it?) and put some food in, the shubunkins just all went in there and nundge each other around in that small bucket. They dont do this to other fish.

Also I have one guppy, who was the only survivor of the first bunch of the guppies I put in the pond (before I added some more) and he grouped himself with other goldfish, following one goldfish in particulat around (calmly) and staying mostly in the bottom of the pond with his buddy.

They are so cute.

Reaction score
My 2 most social fish are the ones I've had longest, and they are the largest.They are the most social with other fish and humans. I've noticed fish of similar size and/or color will group together, more typically by size.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It might be my imagination or maybe we are just attracted to the most social fish but they seem to know who we favor.

Animals like cows and cats know which of them is most favored by people. This gives them an ego boost and they tend to end up as top cow or cat. I do not know if this is true of fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With my setup none are favored. I was picking them up by hand as I messed with the lilies. They were swarming me. They do group swim, very seldom see a lone fish.

Ask a Question