Are pond clarifies necessary?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My two cents... I never use a clarifier until my pond is fully cycled. This year I managed to break my clarifier so I don't have one. I know my water is clear because I can see the fish in deeper parts of the pond with no problem even though it has a green cast from the algae on the lining. One issue is I have a lot of floating algae the next day right after I feed my fish. It can cover15-20% of the pond. If I don't feed for a day it all goes away. It's a new pond so i'm still getting a feel for it. Any suggestions other than not feeding?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
My £2's worth as I don't deal in dollars here!
My UV runs 365, I didn't have one when we initially built the pond back in the late 80's as far as I recall, as the original one was an add on unit a few years later. The pond is in full sun so I was constantly battling green water so mine too was definitely added after the pond had matured under its own devices. Think this was by default and not through knowledge though! Ive never been an advocate of adding chemicals, (to the pond or myself for that matter), so I don't. My water is clear...with the usual green tinge from the liner covering and I appear to have a healthy fish population of 24, not had any die for over two years, then it was just an odd one. Guess it is overstocked really, but my equipment keeps things good. My oldest fish are almost as old as the pond so I must be doing something right somewhere?

At the end of the day, it's all down to personal choice and if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

Ask a Question