Are pond clarifies necessary?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
My Bitron 36C clarifier may be dead. Water got into the cracked quartz tube that surrounds the UV lamp and may have shorted out the bulb.How do I check the unit without blowing another bulb?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
People had ponds long before the UV was invented...some used products to reach clear water, others learned to accept that a bit of algae is beneficial....so I guess you're the only one that can decide if YOU need a UV or not

PS I'm one of the "bad ones", I can't stand green water and have no time for plants maintenance, so I use both UV and store bought products:eek:

Reaction score
With a multi meter you can check to see if there is any current coming out of the ballast. But if the tube is cracked you still need a new one to operate the lamp.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those quartz tubes sometimes cost big money .Reason I bought off ebay .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"Are Poond Clarifiers Necessary?

No!
They are a mechanical band-aid to a biochemical condition. If a pond requires a UV clarifier, it is a sure sign that particular pond is in a state of acute or chronic biological imbalance.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are a mechanical band-aid to a biochemical condition. If a pond requires a UV clarifier, it is a sure sign that particular pond is in a state of acute or chronic biological imbalance.
Hey you should say this in the green water thread to, think it would help them out a bunch!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But the other thread is about the same thing because we all know that we will get green water every year when pond starts up .It is just the way it goes .Hand in hand .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But the other thread is about the same thing because we all know that we will get green water every year when pond starts up .It is just the way it goes .Hand in hand .

Exactly! It is the natural order of things. UV units are an attempt to circumvent one of these natural processes, except they only affect the water cosmetically and actually thwart a natural process, leaving the nutrients that the algae would utilize in the pond and depriving the ensuing zooplankton population a food supply. In effect, greatly reducing or even eliminating a major level in the aquatic food chain.
This leaves the pondkeeper a choice-----attempting to replicate a natural pond including all of the naturally occurring processes, or having a high maintenance and more costly semblance of an outdoor aquarium.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I find it interesting what some people call "green water" - pea soup green water is one thing. But so many people worry about and try to "fix" water that has a green tinge to it. That's called POND WATER.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true pond water always looks green because the muck grows on the liner and people see green .Look how many people want the liner scrubbed clean .Yes green water is good to start as it saves the fish from being harm ,but instead of the use of chemicals the uv is the lesser of 2 evils .I would prefer a uv any day over killing my fish with chemicals .Patience with a pond is better but most want a quick fix .We see that all the time on here .I added chemicals ,why did my fish die

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you hang out on koi pond forums, you'll hear the expression "gin clear". The goal seems to be water that looks like it came right out of the faucet. Our water is always a bit on the green side in the pond - but if you scoop it out, it's crystal clear. Like you said @sissy - what you're seeing is usually the reflection of the green that grows on the liner. Pretty stuff! I've never used a UV - never felt the need for one - but I'm sure it is indeed better than dumping chemical anything in the pond.

Ask a Question