Are pond clarifies necessary?

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Crazme, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Crazme

Crazme

My Bitron 36C clarifier may be dead. Water got into the cracked quartz tube that surrounds the UV lamp and may have shorted out the bulb.How do I check the unit without blowing another bulb?

Crazme, Aug 8, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Crazme

Gemma

People had ponds long before the UV was invented...some used products to reach clear water, others learned to accept that a bit of algae is beneficial....so I guess you're the only one that can decide if YOU need a UV or not

PS I'm one of the "bad ones", I can't stand green water and have no time for plants maintenance, so I use both UV and store bought products:eek:

Gemma, Aug 8, 2017
    Nyboy and DutchMuch like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Crazme

mgmine

With a multi meter you can check to see if there is any current coming out of the ballast. But if the tube is cracked you still need a new one to operate the lamp.

mgmine, Aug 8, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  4. Crazme

sissy sissy

Those quartz tubes sometimes cost big money .Reason I bought off ebay .

sissy, Aug 8, 2017
  5. Crazme

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

"Are Poond Clarifiers Necessary?

No!
    They are a mechanical band-aid to a biochemical condition. If a pond requires a UV clarifier, it is a sure sign that particular pond is in a state of acute or chronic biological imbalance.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 8, 2017
    RichardSJPonds likes this.
  6. Crazme

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

Hey you should say this in the green water thread to, think it would help them out a bunch!

DutchMuch, Aug 8, 2017
  7. Crazme

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

The necessity of UV Clarifiers is not the subject in question in either of those threads, it is the subject of this one.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 8, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  8. Crazme

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

:eggface:
    yea I just thought there was a comparison kind of, sheesh never mind.

DutchMuch, Aug 8, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  9. Crazme

sissy sissy

But the other thread is about the same thing because we all know that we will get green water every year when pond starts up .It is just the way it goes .Hand in hand .

sissy, Aug 9, 2017
  10. Crazme

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Exactly! It is the natural order of things. UV units are an attempt to circumvent one of these natural processes, except they only affect the water cosmetically and actually thwart a natural process, leaving the nutrients that the algae would utilize in the pond and depriving the ensuing zooplankton population a food supply. In effect, greatly reducing or even eliminating a major level in the aquatic food chain.
    This leaves the pondkeeper a choice-----attempting to replicate a natural pond including all of the naturally occurring processes, or having a high maintenance and more costly semblance of an outdoor aquarium.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 9, 2017
    Jhn likes this.
  11. Crazme

Lisak1

I find it interesting what some people call "green water" - pea soup green water is one thing. But so many people worry about and try to "fix" water that has a green tinge to it. That's called POND WATER.

Lisak1, Aug 9, 2017
    EricV, DutchMuch and MoonShadows like this.
  12. Crazme

sissy sissy

true pond water always looks green because the muck grows on the liner and people see green .Look how many people want the liner scrubbed clean .Yes green water is good to start as it saves the fish from being harm ,but instead of the use of chemicals the uv is the lesser of 2 evils .I would prefer a uv any day over killing my fish with chemicals .Patience with a pond is better but most want a quick fix .We see that all the time on here .I added chemicals ,why did my fish die

sissy, Aug 9, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  13. Crazme

Lisak1

If you hang out on koi pond forums, you'll hear the expression "gin clear". The goal seems to be water that looks like it came right out of the faucet. Our water is always a bit on the green side in the pond - but if you scoop it out, it's crystal clear. Like you said @sissy - what you're seeing is usually the reflection of the green that grows on the liner. Pretty stuff! I've never used a UV - never felt the need for one - but I'm sure it is indeed better than dumping chemical anything in the pond.

Lisak1, Aug 10, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  14. Crazme

Lisak1

I think you posted on the wrong thread @Meyer Jordan . This one belongs on the "garlic in the pond" thread.

Lisak1, Aug 10, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  15. Crazme

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Right in the middle of revamping all of the peripheral wiring for my computers.I guess I need to take a hard look at mine. Thanks

Meyer Jordan, Aug 10, 2017
  16. Crazme

CometKeith

My two cents... I never use a clarifier until my pond is fully cycled. This year I managed to break my clarifier so I don't have one. I know my water is clear because I can see the fish in deeper parts of the pond with no problem even though it has a green cast from the algae on the lining. One issue is I have a lot of floating algae the next day right after I feed my fish. It can cover15-20% of the pond. If I don't feed for a day it all goes away. It's a new pond so i'm still getting a feel for it. Any suggestions other than not feeding?

CometKeith, Aug 10, 2017
  17. Crazme

moby

My £2's worth as I don't deal in dollars here!
    My UV runs 365, I didn't have one when we initially built the pond back in the late 80's as far as I recall, as the original one was an add on unit a few years later. The pond is in full sun so I was constantly battling green water so mine too was definitely added after the pond had matured under its own devices. Think this was by default and not through knowledge though! Ive never been an advocate of adding chemicals, (to the pond or myself for that matter), so I don't. My water is clear...with the usual green tinge from the liner covering and I appear to have a healthy fish population of 24, not had any die for over two years, then it was just an odd one. Guess it is overstocked really, but my equipment keeps things good. My oldest fish are almost as old as the pond so I must be doing something right somewhere?

At the end of the day, it's all down to personal choice and if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

moby, Aug 10, 2017
    mgmine likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question