Are these baby tadpoles or goldfish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I’m concerned I’m going to have a thousand goldfish in my pond soon. What do I need to know about population control?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nature will take care of some of them. For the rest, you can trap and cull. See if your local pet store will take some, advertise (Craigslist or a local ad), ask around to see if anyone wants them...... But whatever you do.....don’t turn them loose in area lakes or ponds (at least, not without the owners permission).

Culling is a concept that’s hard for me, but it is a fact of life, whether you do it or Mother Nature does it. I’ve never had quite that many fry at one time — that I was aware of — but still I never ended up with more than about a dozen or so survivors. Yours are so tiny now that if it was me, I would leave them alone for a while and see what attrition takes care of.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never had to cull and I've had my pond for over 15 yrs and it's about 2400 gals and still only between 75 and 100 fish. Most of them small. Nature seems to control it so far. Goldfish and Koi love fish eggs! I think my goldfish gobble them up as they come out! Once in awhile I see a baby or two that got lucky and made it. Also Dragon Fly nymph's will eat the baby goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Nature will take care of some of them. For the rest, you can trap and cull. See if your local pet store will take some, advertise (Craigslist or a local ad), ask around to see if anyone wants them...... But whatever you do.....don’t turn them loose in area lakes or ponds (at least, not without the owners permission).

Culling is a concept that’s hard for me, but it is a fact of life, whether you do it or Mother Nature does it. I’ve never had quite that many fry at one time — that I was aware of — but still I never ended up with more than about a dozen or so survivors. Yours are so tiny now that if it was me, I would leave them alone for a while and see what attrition takes care of.
Thanks for the response. I’ll leave them and see what happens. And if I am overrun, will handle it humanely and responsibly. I have a friend with an aquarium business and can ask him for help rehoming them.

Reaction score
hi, can you help me identify these new inhabitants to my pond? I can’t tell if they are fish babies or tadpoles. (We have two sarasa goldfish and three koi. And plenty of frogs.) There seem to be a hundred of these guys swimming around suddenly. We caught one to inspect.
definitely a baby fish

Ask a Question