Please tell me this is NOT a baby Bullfrog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just saw this little baby frog on the side of my pond, I don't know: is it a "good to have" frog, or a baby Bullfrog?
I've never seen a baby Bullfrog so I'm not sure if they start out looking like this one and change color and appearance as they grow...please help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
frog3.jpg
frog2.jpg
frog1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
nope not bull frog, see the ridges down the back............
I trust you, I will keep it! Thank you!
Very cute, lucky you. The hubby and myself are headed to the wildlife pond tomorrow to look for some frogs. We want some.
I've always loved frogs around my pond, until this year when the Bullfrog ate all the frogs and then went after my two smaller koi...now when I see a frog I freak out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
See the membrane / ridge around the ear of the bull frog? The common frog does not have that.
(not my pictures)

wwbullfrog01.jpg

They have a ridge going down their back.

1920px-Green_Frog.jpg
Is the Bullfrog the only frog that does not have the ridges along the back? What about babies, do they look like the adult right from the start?
sorry for all the questions :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
from the net

American Bullfrog has no pair of raised lines on its back - the so-called dorso-lateral ridges - that extend from behind the eye and top of the eardrum backwards along the outer edge of the back

Green Frog is the species most likely to be confused with a juvenile bullfrog. The Green Frog has ridges on either side of its back that extend from the back of the eye and top of the eardrum along the rim of the back. Fully grown green frogs are only about half the length of fully grown bullfrogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I trust you, I will keep it! Thank you!

I've always loved frogs around my pond, until this year when the Bullfrog ate all the frogs and then went after my two smaller koi...now when I see a frog I freak out!
My youngest wants a Bullfrog, every year when visiting their grandparents in Maryland the noise from them is unreal, she has hundreds out back. I don't think one will be coming home now though, as my fish are small. I will have to be the bad guy and say no to the bullfrogs.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Is the Bullfrog the only frog that does not have the ridges along the back? What about babies, do they look like the adult right from the start?
sorry for all the questions :)

The juvie bullfrogs look like mini versions of the adults. Also, they for the most part are much more skittish than green frogs, the green frogs around ponds tend to sit there until you almost step on them. The bullfrogs jump in before I get anywhere near them.

Ask a Question