Are they dieing?

Reaction score
So I'm panicking a bit. We put the feeder fish in the pond night before last and yesterday afternoon when we went out to check on them they were very list liss and at the bottom of the pond. one even looked like he was getting ready to kick the bucket. When we moved them around they kinda swam away. Most of them are in the bottom tier hiding around the biofilter. The water is cold, could they simply be going into a touch of hibernation? I am on the central coast of California (right in between San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara)and It never gets too cold here so I thought they were going to be ok. What should I do?

Reaction score
um did you floaat the bag for an hour...did you dechlorinate/condition the water...what is the water temp....this information will help alot

Reaction score
I floated the bags for an hour, I did not add anything but the beneficial bacteria. The pond has been set up since last sunday afternoon. As far as the temp... I have no clue. Seems cold to me.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well cold water slows their metabolic system, the colder the slower they get and more importantly the slower their digestive tract works, so if the water is under 50* dont feed them; up to 70* feed a wheatgerm based food or a "winter food" if their feeders, you can crush up the adult pellets, the powder is easy for them to eat and digest. i dont know this to be fact, but the flakes are harder to digest im told. either way feed lightly, no more than once a day, give 2 minutes to eat.. untill the water hits 60* fedd regularly with regular food whe4n the water hits 70*. and yes, get a thermometer for your pond. 2 days is cutting it close on not dechlorinating. and feeders dont get any attention to health anyways, they are sold with the intention of not being around to long.

Reaction score
Well we over bough because we expected to have a few losses But they all look terrified! Thee was one or two that were tipping on their side till I touched them but they were all very still. I have both the pumps going to keep the water well oxygenated. I will buy a thermometer today. I have not fed them any thing yet but I have the goldfish disks

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752351

will those work? I remembered not to get flakes and to get something that will slow sink. I think this was the one that slow sinks... There was so many there.

Reaction score
Oh and I did not feed them because some where I remember reading that they would be stressed and would not eat the food any ways so it wold just spoil. So yah that's why I have not fed them. If I am wrong I hope someone can correct me ASAP so I can rush home to feed them.

Reaction score
also I am worried about my biofilter squishing them a the bottom of the pond when I have to put it back in the pond after I clean it. Any tips for getting the fish to stay clear?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
they will top feed no problem, they all will. your better off with a food that has wheatgerm as one of the first ingredients.

they will stay clear.. dont worry about it.

Reaction score
i got the exact same feeders to cycle my pond...they are now almost as big as the koi and i feed them the same food...they come up to the surface when they see me and let my girlfriend hand feed and pet them...they were super skittish but now they are very friendly...just give it time...oh i had to feed flakes for a while because they sink when wet...just mix some food in a cup with some pond water and place near the water fall so that the food floats past them
make sure you get a thermometer because with ponds temperature is everything...and get some dechlorinator for water changes or for when ever you need to top of the pond

Reaction score
So I did not come home to a pond full of floaters as I was afraid of, There was one dead fish, But he got caught in the pump... Poor little guy. Should I put a sponge or something over the second pump?

Ask a Question