Sick Shebunkin- white area on tail

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what this might be? there is a white area on both sides and it looks fatter/swollen/scales raised.
Swimming minimally and staying near the surface since last night.

New to pond- added Saturday.
Tested water- all within normal parameters

Attachments

• IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2393.PNG
    IMG_2393.PNG
    180.8 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Looks fungal to me. Superficial. Isolate and treat with water soluble antifungals you can find in petsmart.

A picture of the tail upside down would be helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Does anyone know anything about dropsy? I sent a picture to the owner of the store I purchased it from and that was his thought because the tail looks puffy and scales are raised.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dropsy is a symptom of edema in fish or simply put, kidney failure, and is identified by bloating of the entire fish. Sometimes it is severe enough to cause 'Pine Coning". There is no cure for Dropsy as it is not a disease but a symptom of typically an internal bacterial infection.
If this is indeed Ick, the entire pond must be treated.
If you enlarge your first two photos, what appears to be parasites are clearly visible.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
fatter/swollen/scales raised.
my vote is dropsy with ich, @Meyer Jordan is your best friend in this time of crisis.

Usually infections, and illnesses in general are caused by stress or bad water quality, im surprised no one has asked this but, whats your pond size, and the current parameters of the pond? im thinking your ammonia is very high, and its uncycled.
Ich is usually the case of (as said) bad water quality.
Same with dropsy. They both thrive in unhealthy water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Fungal infection cause dropsy unless you see dots on the fins then it's ich. Formalin will work on both unless it's actual internal or bacterial.

Need a better look at the swelling.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

??

Dropsy is fluid from a renal failure.... any infection can lead to renal failure.. it's sepsis by definition and hence the edema. Just looking at the picture I'm guessing its fungal. There is no way to tell for certain without a scrap and view under the microscope.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dropsy is fluid from a renal failure.... any infection can lead to renal failure.. it's sepsis by definition and hence the edema. Just looking at the picture I'm guessing its fungal. There is no way to tell for certain without a scrap and view under the microscope.
Yea this is why I questioned your response,
You don't need a microscope to tell what disease or illness a fish has, you can use one but you don't need to, imo that's rediculas unless your the most paranoid fish keeper ever.
Its obviously fungal since its a growth on the tail and is white, white is usually a common fungus growth color.

Ask a Question