Area in my backyard thinking of putting a pond suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
solar energy can power whole house now days , , its up to u how much u can invest , u can power low power appliances for very long time , here people use solar panels of 8 feet with UPS and truck battery for storing electricity . it is quite possible that the pump works directly from solar panel at day time then after nite it runs on battery as they have calculated but unless u have seen it or tried it , is there any grantee the company give u that it will run 24h? it all depends on solar panel size and battery if they have suitable size with it .
you can create strong enuf but small waterfall of 1.5 foot tall with 6 inch width with this pump .
but my question after this , will u save enuf from this all investment ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you hit the nail on the head @Usman - yes it IS possible to run a pond pump off of solar panels, but how much would you have to invest to make it work? And what would you be saving?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Solar is great! We've been in it since it was really expensive and it's relatively cheap now. If you have a pump that uses 50 watts continuous for 24 hours, that's 1200 watt/hours, about 100 amp/hours @ 12V. My 1200GPH pump uses about 35 watts. You would need a deep cycle, (not car battery) of twice that capacity, or about 200 amp hours (golf cart batteries are a good cost effective route). You should never discharge them more than 50% if you want them to last a few years or more. I'd guess you could get by with a couple 160 watt, 12 volt panels, a cheap charge controller and a 400 watt or less inverter. The best place I've found for panels is Solar Blvd
I've been dealing with them for about 10 years now and never been disappointed. They have Solar Cynergy 160 watt, 12volt panels for $125 each + shipping. The charge controller can be bought on Ebay for about $30 and the same for a small inverter to run a 120 Volt pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Solar is great! We've been in it since it was really expensive and it's relatively cheap now. If you have a pump that uses 50 watts continuous for 24 hours, that's 1200 watt/hours, about 100 amp/hours @ 12V. My 1200GPH pump uses about 35 watts. You would need a deep cycle, (not car battery) of twice that capacity, or about 200 amp hours (golf cart batteries are a good cost effective route). You should never discharge them more than 50% if you want them to last a few years or more. I'd guess you could get by with a couple 160 watt, 12 volt panels, a cheap charge controller and a 400 watt or less inverter. The best place I've found for panels is Solar Blvd
I've been dealing with them for about 10 years now and never been disappointed. They have Solar Cynergy 160 watt, 12volt panels for $125 each + shipping. The charge controller can be bought on Ebay for about $30 and the same for a small inverter to run a 120 Volt pump.
If i would invest for solar energy i would do where i can make most out of it and as substitute with backup, for example on lights and fans etc where i will get considerable benefit out of the system , another thing is where i dont get effected if it doesnot work , as substitute backup , suppose if batteries dont charge in winters or in cloudy days , the pump will stop, so he shud atleast have main line available, and use it as backup . im not against it but my point is , if u wana save money , do where its best .

Im thinking my self to buy few panels , i have inverter and battery . If ur using liquid battery regularly, u need to buy new battery every year or if ur lucky it will last 18 months but its storing capacity will decrease . new inverters have system that discharges it before its empty to keep it in good shape .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here neighbors had it like I had said before but between hail damage and insurance company would not cover and then the cost of taking them down to put on a new roof after storm damage ,they gave up on them .They do have rental solar here also .I even suggested putting up a frame in the yard for them ,her hubby is a welder

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Properly maintained true deep cycle batteries, depending on the type, should last from 7-15 years or more. Deep cycle batteries have thick plates and are designed to discharge slowly to about 50% capacity and be fully recharged each cycle (or nearly full anyway). The cabin we spent our summers in for 15 years had a small system with true deep cycle batteries, bought used from the phone company. They were 6V each(2 in series for 12V) and weighed around 150 pounds each. Rated at 200 Amp/Hours, they were 10 years old when we bought them and lasted another 12 years. We ran lights, a stereo, vcr, small color tv, coffee grinder and an Amiga computer off them with a 150 watt panel set. In the late 1980s, the panels cost about $7 a watt of output. Today, you can find good panels for as little as $.60 per watt. $7 was worth a lot more back then too.

Automotive batteries are what you call "float service" batteries and have lots of very thin plates. They are designed to provide a huge amount of power for a very short time, and stay nearly full all the rest of the time, they "float" at around 13.5-14.5 volts. They are designed to normally be discharged (starting a car) about 5-8% and immediately recharged. Most will be ruined if fully discharged around 15-18 times. If you use automotive batteries in a solar system, they might last a year, getting weaker with each cycle.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our solar was installed by the company that works with the power company, we paid nothing for it, do no maintenance, we get a check from the power company for any solar we don't use. If we need a new roof or repairs to our roof, $500 to remove the panels and put back on. They take care of the panels.

Ask a Question