ATP's Front Yard Pond!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Coming together! Looks really good, @ATP. Consider rocking some areas with smaller cobble. Breaking up the rows of boulders with some cobble “landslides” kind of naturalizes the look. Wish I’d done more of it in my pond.

@combatwombat Interesting you mention that. I just played around with some smaller cobble between a few small boulders to see what it does to break up the boulder look. Dont love it but intrigued by the cobble "landslide". I dont think it would work on my high sections but might play around with it in my low sections to see how it looks.
33D4003B-CB21-46C0-9885-8C429C927348.jpeg

Would you go with smaller cobble and litterally just almost dump it over the edge toward the bottom shelf? I have toyed with doing a "pebble beach" too, which sounds similar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@combatwombat Interesting you mention that. I just played around with some smaller cobble between a few small boulders to see what it does to break up the boulder look. Dont love it but intrigued by the cobble "landslide". I dont think it would work on my high sections but might play around with it in my low sections to see how it looks. View attachment 149427

Would you go with smaller cobble and litterally just almost dump it over the edge toward the bottom shelf? I have toyed with doing a "pebble beach" too, which sounds similar.

Just dumping it probably wouldn’t work too well unless you have a lot of shelf space below for rock to spill onto. You’d need to grade it with different sizes, larger cobble holding back small, and with different sizes mixed in as well.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lost the day to work on the pond Saturday due to rain but still got a fair amount done.

With the help of a neighbor was able to get this massive boulder to the bottom of the pond. It measures almost 3 feet at the longest point so felt good to get it planted!
6BB60B91-03C4-4968-BA36-4847D5F1E5A3.jpeg

Got the rocks in at the high point of the pond. About done with the large boulders and its a relief.
C1F9D4B9-EE30-4A4A-9F85-9AC4220B2D1E.jpeg

Lastly, the bog is dug and ready for underlayment. Does it need overlayment too? Anyway, I made it about 16" deep from water level, then bermed up the edges another 8 - 10 inches. Measures 6'x12'. Planning on filling it aprox 3/4 of the way up with the pea gravel, then adding coping stones before topping off the pea gravel.

6D30BCA7-E889-4E01-A2D7-2059771F66AD.jpeg

AB3B682A-8545-4B89-8F9D-02DAC3296F5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what i'm seeing your placing each boulder the long way end to end take one or more of them and turn them the long way so it sticks out into the pond or points straight up. mother nature is anything but even. And that will break up the string of pearls look Take a look at those edging detail diagrams. i'm pretty sure i posted them to your build if not it is in my show case

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
From what i'm seeing your placing each boulder the long way end to end take one or more of them and turn them the long way so it sticks out into the pond or points straight up. mother nature is anything but even. And that will break up the string of pearls look Take a look at those edging detail diagrams. i'm pretty sure i posted them to your build if not it is in my show case
Yes, we talked about this specific group of stones a few times...lol. You cant see it becuase its covered up right now but on the "bog wall" i do have quite a few pointing up. I liked how those stones fit together and yes, it is the long side for each. I am going to try and break up the necklace effect with some plants and grow the grass right to the top edge. Its at least 12" above the water level and 8 below so a bit challenge to fill in that space. By keeping it fit along the top edge I want to make it look like those stones are much deeper than they are. Not sure yet and dont be surprised if i i completely change things! I do know, I dropped one of those bigger ones to the bottom trying to maneuver it around and it was a PIA to get it back up on the shelf, not to mention I used my body to try and breaks its fall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like a tree stump is calling your name or a limb

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is always a stump dump around but those are general recently live and heavy stumps but always worth a look. There are some rather over priced web dealers selling them too

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There is always a stump dump around but those are general recently live and heavy stumps but always worth a look. There are some rather over priced web dealers selling them too
I live right near the Hudson river where its part of the Champlain Canal. The basically drain a section of the lower canal in the winter and if you can get access its a great time to get drift wood (where i got the piece in my pictures). I am going to try and go back to see what i can find.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that's one of the places i got mine as well it was at a transmission line crossing to a river and there's a large wetland they're the best pieces and washed in from the floods but they are not visible by passing boats . walk through the reeds and you'll be surprised what you might find. might take some effort but seeing as you dug your pond by hand that doesn't scare you . bring a cordless sawsall long blade extra battery or a chainsaw . though that might get some eyes on you

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
that's one of the places i got mine as well it was at a transmission line crossing to a river and there's a large wetland they're the best pieces and washed in from the floods but they are not visible by passing boats . walk through the reeds and you'll be surprised what you might find. might take some effort but seeing as you dug your pond by hand that doesn't scare you . bring a cordless sawsall long blade extra battery or a chainsaw . though that might get some eyes on you
I did feel like I might be doing something "illegal" even though it was probably fine and no one would have looked twice. I have a battery operated chain saw that might be perfect to make some peices more manageable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You gave it up you do cross training . That's like the old Penn states we use to do that are now banned. Your no stranger to the burn. Have you ever done a tough muder?

Ask a Question