ATP's Front Yard Pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is no reality I can imagine where the diffusion of water through your manifold is going to damage your liner in any way. But an overlayment is cheap insurance against abrasive edges like a sharp edge or burr left on one of your slits.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Trying to find a decent source of clean stone is a huge benefit
Easier said than done. Found some perfect size pea gravel at one of my local places and it was dirty! I guess I could have it dumped on the lawn and give the kids a hose to wash it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hose and a shovel and screen just using a hose does only the surface i have some pics and words about it using a 3" hose and it did nothing.

it's not the end of the world if there's fines in it your just better off with as few as possible .

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There is no reality I can imagine where the diffusion of water through your manifold is going to damage your liner in any way. But an overlayment is cheap insurance against abrasive edges like a sharp edge or burr left on one of your slits.
I have just heard people mention it on here when designing their bogs, and place something in between the liner and manifold. It might just be a proactive measure in case in were to start impacting the liner.
hose and a shovel and screen just using a hose does only the surface i have some pics and words about it using a 3" hose and it did nothing.

it's not the end of the world if there's fines in it your just better off with as few as possible .
yes, I have seen the pic of you trying to rinse it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you'll be fired up by the beginning of summer. are you leaning toward gold fish a few koi no fish"?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
proactive measure in case in were to start impacting the liner.
while the rubber will flex if it's being constantly beat by a pebble it could be like those river pockets where a rock swirls around and chews away the ledge so some fabric is definitely a benefit i won't place any rock big or small without fabric

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you'll be fired up by the beginning of summer. are you leaning toward gold fish a few koi no fish"?
Yes, most definitely! Koi as of now. I have a decent credit at one of my local fish stores from selling them coral so most likely get what they have in stock. I do like the butterfly variety. If the herons find me then I will need to come up with a plan B. Do you have any issue with them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No but i have a very tight area where i have taken away the flight path of the heron the one area he may have been able to use to fly away i hang a golf net from. it's in the blog. Next day koi has some reasonable priced koi

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No but i have a very tight area where i have taken away the flight path of the heron the one area he may have been able to use to fly away i hang a golf net from. it's in the blog. Next day koi has some reasonable priced koi
Interesting. Hadnt thought of that. Golf net might look a bit strange hanging on the back side of my pond facing the road. I am hoping with the pond being so close to the house it will help. I work from home and I can see the pond from my office, so hopefully I can scare them off if they do stop by. I dont want to net the pond so I will try the other means to scare them off first.

Do you quarantine the Koi before adding them to your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I HAVE BEEN OF LATE but one duck or bird landing in the pond can make that all pointless as they transfer parasites from neighboring ponds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is the scarecrow water motion censor .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Didn’t net my ponds for probably 20 years, just put up with herons getting the fish, I drew the line though when other birds of prey started grabbing the turtles. So up went the 5” square wide weave net, while I am not crazy about it, kind of disappears, plus I have about 50’ of it hung like a curtain that can be pulled out of the way when we are out there. Really if you can’t do like Gbbudd did and take away their flight paths, everything else they will figure out, had the scarecrow water motion thing, decoys etc. the herons figure them out. I will admit the scarecrow sensor was fun when I had friends over and didn’t tell them it was there, well worth the money spent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Didn’t net my ponds for probably 20 years, just put up with herons getting the fish, I drew the line though when other birds of prey started grabbing the turtles. So up went the 5” square wide weave net, while I am not crazy about it, kind of disappears, plus I have about 50’ of it hung like a curtain that can be pulled out of the way when we are out there. Really if you can’t do like Gbbudd did and take away their flight paths, everything else they will figure out, had the scarecrow water motion thing, decoys etc. the herons figure them out. I will admit the scarecrow sensor was fun when I had friends over and didn’t tell them it was there, well worth the money spent.
Twisted , I CAN SEE THAT VERY CLEARLY

Ask a Question