ATP's Front Yard Pond!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You gave it up you do cross training . That's like the old Penn states we use to do that are now banned. Your no stranger to the burn. Have you ever done a tough muder?
I guess I do cross training now! Before moving these boulders I did more running than anything else. Before kids I did a lot of bicycle racing, very familiar with the burn. Moving around these boulders was a full body workout and everything was sore the last few weeks! No tough mudder, though i know people that have done them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess I do cross training now! Before moving these boulders I did more running than anything else. Before kids I did a lot of bicycle racing, very familiar with the burn. Moving around these boulders was a full body workout and everything was sore the last few weeks! No tough mudder, though i know people that have done them.
After your done with the pond you'd be able to give the 25 year old rocky a shot for the tittle

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Picked up some more rock today. Needed a few smaller pieces to break up the large to medium sized boulders. Guy I bought the boulders from told me to come up and take what I needed. I was like a kid in a candy store with all these mossy rocks! Even grabbed a piece of wood covered in moss.

Got the bog finished and pulled the liner across. Decided to berm up the earth wall separating the bog from the pond to force water over the two spillway sections. Now I need to figure out how to hide the liner.

Need my second order of underlayment to come so i can finish rocking the pond.
58A1577D-9A03-402E-8EF8-64C346078F1D.jpeg
D80D1422-8250-4AF9-95CD-04F431067181.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice score. People pay big money for boulders with moss on them. Out here, we have to scrape it off everything!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU COULD TAKE THE RUBBER AND FOLD IT UP AGAINST YOUR ROCKS CREATING THE WATER STOP BUT ADD FABRIC ALONG WITH IT THE FABRICK WILL WHICK WATER AND IN NO TIME IT WILL BE COVERED IN MOSS INSTEAD OF HAVING THAT SHELF BETWEEN UP OUT OF THE WATER WHY NOT HAVE IT AS 6 INCHS DEEP AND PLANT OH SAY PITCHER PLANTS OR WHAT EVER STRIKES YOUR FANCY.. SORRY FOR CAPS .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i got two sacks of 4 to 6 in the driveway . i had the time first time around to gather them up like your doing now i'll just pay for it.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got the bog pipes cut today and in place. Haven’t been glued yet. Not sure yet if I will face the slits up or down or if I need an underlayment.

Bog is 6ft x 11ft and about 16’ deep. 2” pvc was used. Planning on running 2” flex pvc to the coupler on the bottom right of pic.
7C4B4CC6-6DFA-4DFD-BE98-F63812731D0A.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ARE YOU USING SOLELY 3/8" OR ARE YOU DOING A LAYER OF SAY 1 INCH THEN THE 3/8? the slits up give a undisturbed chanel for sediment to slide down to the clean out. but 3/8 has lots of fines but the amount of slits you made i' think you'll be fine it will be impossible to clog all that but be careful throwing stone in until you get a good layer of stone around it

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ARE YOU USING SOLELY 3/8" OR ARE YOU DOING A LAYER OF SAY 1 INCH THEN THE 3/8? the slits up give a undisturbed chanel for sediment to slide down to the clean out. but 3/8 has lots of fines but the amount of slits you made i' think you'll be fine it will be impossible to clog all that but be careful throwing stone in until you get a good layer of stone around it
I was just going to fill it up with 3/8 pea gravel (assuming i can find it, local place definately had a ton of fines mixed in with theirs). I guess I have room to add a layer of river rock size or a little larger than the pea gravel? Overlayment?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trying to find a decent source of clean stone is a huge benefit as the less soil in the stone the more the plants look to the water for there food. most peastone bogs are just that . my small 8 x6 bog is running solely with 3/4 river and the pond is crystal clear i often wonder if i had to redo the large bog at all. but when its done i should never have to lift a finger . The NEW falls up there will be more fitting to my setup it has always bothered me

yes i put fabric everywhere to protect the liner even 3/8 and 3/4 rock can split and be as sharp as a scalpel

a thin 3 inch layer of 3/4 on the bottom and just covering the pipes will only help distribute the water across the bottom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My new bog is 8 inches 1-2 rounds , 16 inches 3/4 rounds and 4 inches 3/8 rounds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My new bog is 8 inches 1-2 rounds , 16 inches 3/4 rounds and 4 inches 3/8 rounds

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
a thin 3 inch layer of 3/4 on the bottom and just covering the pipes will only help distribute the water across the bottom
So, to confirm I should add a 3" layer of 3/4 gravel below the pea stone? I guess if I do this then I can keep the slits facing up as the larger gravel should keep fines from clogging the pipes. If I decide to put slits facing down then I could probably skip the layer of 3/4 gravel? If I face slits down and use overlayment that should protect the liner from the constant diffusing of water, right?

Wow, I just managed to make a pretty simple process very complicated...lol.

Ask a Question