ATP's Front Yard Pond!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I started learning about bogs, I found Nelson’s article first and it was a godsend. They are adamant about their rules for how to build a bog that won’t fail.

Then I kept learning and kept building and came to learn that Nelson’s rules are a bunch of BS. Yeah, their design will absolutely work. But so will most other designs.

Anyway, You don’t need to leave the soil around your plants. Sorry for the rant!
No worries, they seem very stringent in their directions. What about the notion that the gravel needs to be slighly above water level? I kind of like it a little below (1" or less). Looks more like a second pond than a garden bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
No worries, they seem very stringent in their directions. What about the notion that the gravel needs to be slighly above water level? I kind of like it a little below (1" or less). Looks more like a second pond than a garden bed.
I also love the look of the shallow water in the bog... If I have open water in the bog, as I did last summer, I get a lot of tadpoles in the bog (and pond), but then there isn't enough water to keep the growing tadpoles all alive and there aren't enough tadpole eating things outside the bog, so then ... deceased tadpole clean-up. Some are also invasive frog/ toad species tadpoles. So, this spring and into the summer, I'm going to have less water surface. I don't have any mosquito larvae in the bog or pond.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also love the look of the shallow water in the bog... If I have open water in the bog, as I did last summer, I get a lot of tadpoles in the bog (and pond), but then there isn't enough water to keep the growing tadpoles all alive and there aren't enough tadpole eating things outside the bog, so then ... deceased tadpole clean-up. Some are also invasive frog/ toad species tadpoles. So, this spring and into the summer, I'm going to have less water surface. I don't have any mosquito larvae in the bog or pond.
Ugh, didnt think of that. Once I plant it I will see how much I have left to potentially fill in. Couldnt you net out the tadpoles and just drop them in the pond? I dont think I have any invasive species in my area (northeast).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Another completely non-stringent rule. The only thing water level really effects is the type of plants that will thrive. You can have areas of gravel in your bog that are both above and below water by building up gravel hills or digging depressions or creating retaining walls with leftover rocks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have above and below water gravel, always have tabs in the bog that slowly disappear.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond update! Got most of the edge work done. Need to add some terrestial plants, suggestions appreciated. Order of bog plants came in today so I will be adding them tomorrow. Decided to raise bog edges up another few inches. They will be 5-6" above current water level. I hope the plants dont cause the water to to go much higher or I may need to redo the rock, not to mention the edges where the bog connects to the pond are getting tight.
5B990FAD-152D-4FF8-B60B-BC4D7499B150.jpeg
11F89507-89F3-47E0-84D2-CB3741923ABC.jpeg
8127A4FD-8FBB-410A-A92C-96B2C759CC0E.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great job the edging. Nice and subtle. I spy a pool net in the background. What one did you get? I just bought a cheap-o on Amazon and it arrived with a hole in it. haha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know you were an aquarium guy and thought maybe you dosed something like Nitrate to feed the plants. With saltwater reef tanks I would add nitrate if it got too low. Not planning on doing it here but was curious if anyone tried it. I did add some nitrifying bacteria before adding the fish, so hopefully they aren't "sacrificial".

How did you get the hair algae under control?
An established bog and i also added an air bladder in the snorkel to really boost the o2 content for the bacteria. it took some time.
I have some hair algae going now as the main bog is starting over. I am not feeding the fish much and they have cleared off their favorite grazing areas. which is at least half the boulders in the deep area and they are working there way to the vertical sides. Just use tenderness in removing the hair algae don't squeeze the stuff as it will release spores into the water and bloom even more.
About a week after the bog was fired up i had green algae but thats gone and the hair is fighting but seems to be loosing. I'd expect i'll have hair algae till july when the bog plants get going .
I'm going to pull the forget-me-nots that are around hobbit falls and bring them up to the bogs. and replace them with some moss that won't over grow hobbit falls.
I am contemplating removing all the plants in the moss and pitcher plant bog as and i know this sounds so terrible i have tons or tiny white violets growing in the pitcher plant bog. What i would really like is a golf course type look with the moss i have that grows like a putting green and buy new pitcher plants and remove EVERYTHING from that bog and start over.
this is the moss im thinking of going with it's the deep green. The first pic has a ton of a type of duck weed that i really like as well
turff moss  (1 of 1).jpg

turff moss  (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job the edging. Nice and subtle. I spy a pool net in the background. What one did you get? I just bought a cheap-o on Amazon and it arrived with a hole in it. haha
cw i do hope all your dyi's hold up all that work

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have some dyi in your build. i was saying i hope they all work and nothing doesn't fail. milk crates and such ie the inexpensive net with a hole and the cow infused milk crates, or was it pig. Just saying i'm not as daring and do all the work and risk with unprovens i guess

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I stole it from my pool. It’s just a pool skimmer net attachment. Works well and fits the intake bay perfectly, it’s just so big and I don’t want anyone noticing it like you did..lol. I would try ordering another one or go to one of the big box stores, they should have them.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
An established bog and i also added an air bladder in the snorkel to really boost the o2 content for the bacteria. it took some time.
I have some hair algae going now as the main bog is starting over. I am not feeding the fish much and they have cleared off their favorite grazing areas. which is at least half the boulders in the deep area and they are working there way to the vertical sides. Just use tenderness in removing the hair algae don't squeeze the stuff as it will release spores into the water and bloom even more.
About a week after the bog was fired up i had green algae but thats gone and the hair is fighting but seems to be loosing. I'd expect i'll have hair algae till july when the bog plants get going .
I'm going to pull the forget-me-nots that are around hobbit falls and bring them up to the bogs. and replace them with some moss that won't over grow hobbit falls.
I am contemplating removing all the plants in the moss and pitcher plant bog as and i know this sounds so terrible i have tons or tiny white violets growing in the pitcher plant bog. What i would really like is a golf course type look with the moss i have that grows like a putting green and buy new pitcher plants and remove EVERYTHING from that bog and start over.
this is the moss im thinking of going with it's the deep green. The first pic has a ton of a type of duck weed that i really like as well
View attachment 150688
View attachment 150689
Did you buy the moss or find it locally? I have some from a small stream in my backyard and what came with the rocks but I am not sure it’s loving the full sun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most moss will not grow in the sun UNLESS it has its feet in water . some will do ok if the edge is in the water and it can constantly drink or is on soils thats keeping it moist from below.

It's moss from all over. some was even ordered from a farm in Tenn

Ask a Question