ATP's Front Yard Pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There should be a thumbs down . I have been in the fish hobby for many many years and have seen so many miracle cures. But I can honestly say I haven't see too many of them work. The bog method is patience and balance

Stick around you'll see posts 'my fish store said this was safe and now I lost half my fish '
Think about the problem 90% of the free floating debris in the water is sand and silt. That was on the rocks . What is going to break down these products ? Absolutely nothing. It may bond with them and make them sink to the bottom but it's still there. Untill the next time it's stired.

Heavy plant matter is the exception as bacteria can help here but to go with extra bacteria it may strip a low O2 concentration in the pond and make it unhealthy for the fish.

The bog as some here use was created /used by sewer treatment plants. Lots of 02 and settling chambers bacteria and last step tons of plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I decided to completely drain the pond today and get rid of all the suspended dirt, so it should be "clearer" after I fill it again.
That's one way to flush the system and probably the best . I understand the look of a mild stream , I do. I prefer photographing stream when there are little more then a trickle over raging . Where you have no fish at the moment it realy won't matter too much . Seeding the bog is not outside of what I would consider but given time mother nature will do the job. If your filling with city don't forget declorinator . As a starting pond you'll want to neutralize that.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's one way to flush the system and probably the best . I understand the look of a mild stream , I do. I prefer photographing stream when there are little more then a trickle over raging . Where you have no fish at the moment it realy won't matter too much . Seeding the bog is not outside of what I would consider but given time mother nature will do the job. If your filling with city don't forget declorinator . As a starting pond you'll want to neutralize that.
After I read your last message, I did go out and turn it up. Overall, I think it will be better for the pond health in general and gives that little middle trickle some more "kick". The chlorine/bleach in the water should be gone by the time I add any plants or fish but I probably have some laying around I could use to be safe. Once its filled again and hopefully not as cloudy I will post another video.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
@GBBUDD I get what your saying. No fish in my pond as it’s still cycling. Not to concerned with water flocculent. Never had an issue with the stuff. Not saying there isn’t exceptions to that though. I am only using it for the initial cycle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After I read your last message, I did go out and turn it up. Overall, I think it will be better for the pond health in general and gives that little middle trickle some more "kick". The chlorine/bleach in the water should be gone by the time I add any plants or fish but I probably have some laying around I could use to be safe. Once its filled again and hopefully not as cloudy I will post another video.
The chemicals added today mostly by municipalities are chloramines not the chlorine we all know that evaporates in pools. it lasts much longer and depending on your area dechlorinator is about the only way to neutralize.

I think bumping up the flow was the right choice it will help cycle the pond and bog much faster

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond had to take a back seat this weekend to other spring priorities so not a lot of progress. Still need to figure out what to plant in the bog and around edges. Have a Wanvisa waterlily already in the pond and a few others on order. Exciting news today was added a few small Butterfly Koi. Pond is still a little murky but clearing up a little more each day.
DACBC1B2-F17D-4074-B480-6958E7B0708B.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looking good for sure .....

the pond is still cloudy shut down the spill way bowl throw everything at the bog. when she clears then start your bowl again

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
looking good for sure .....

the pond is still cloudy shut down the spill way bowl throw everything at the bog. when she clears then start your bowl again
I was wondering if that would help. I did add more pea gravel on Thursday ( rinsed it the best I could) and that didnt help. Might turn it off tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
are you going to have plants? in the bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I CAN COMPLETELY SILT OUT THE POND where a fish cant be seen but at the surface . let the bog run all night and she'll be clear by the morning, its alot to do with how many gph your recycling the pond the smaller the pond the more often youll want to do so

Ask a Question