Attracting fish or snails

Reaction score
So i was getting my fish out of the pond today and i noticed two of my smaller goldfish were missing and i couldn't find any of my 3 snails in my small pond. Now i was wondering how i could get my goldfish out from hiding thats if they are still alive and how I can get the snails to come to one spot in the pond. Any advice???

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You might get the snails to move around by putting some sliced apple or something of that sort they might come to eat. The fish, I usually have to drain my pond to get all fish out. They are so good at hiding.

Reaction score
You might get the snails to move around by putting some sliced apple or something of that sort they might come to eat. The fish, I usually have to drain my pond to get all fish out. They are so good at hiding.
So i went outside real quick to put some apple slices in the pond and to my surprise the two goldfish were swimming around the pond so i just scooped them up and put them with the rest. I guess that saves me from having to drain the pond.
As for the snails, It was a little tricky to get the apple slices to stay at the bottom of the pond so i just put them in the fish net and sunk it to the bottom. I have one question though. Will the snails still have an appetite in cold water?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue, but snails live over winter in the pond, mine do. We did hit -15 one winter, not the extended cold you have. The snails live over winter even in my small deck ponds. You could just leave them, they would probably be fine.

Reaction score
No clue, but snails live over winter in the pond, mine do. We did hit -15 one winter, not the extended cold you have. The snails live over winter even in my small deck ponds. You could just leave them, they would probably be fine.
Ya its not too much of a problem if i can't find them i will just leave them in there but I would prefer to get them out and put them in the tank with the rest of the fish. This will also allow me next spring to just empty out the pond and rinse it out without having to worry about killing any thing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If your snails are the yellow trapdoor variety then I doubt they will survive the winter months :(

Dave

Ask a Question