Auto Feeders

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Notwithstanding what I previously posted, auto feeders are and have been in use for many years especially in heavily stocked fishery ponds or aquaculture operations. To have the features (multiple feedings, capacity and power supply) required for extended periods (weeks as was indicated in this case) no less than upward of $100 can be anticipated as initial cost with some having a cost of over $1,000.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Today's koi and goldfish, have been selectively bred for specific traits...color, body shape, fins etc, so are removed from their "ancestors" who lived in a natural setting. I don't advocate over feeding them, but believe they should be fed regularly :)

You don't remove all basic genetics traits by selective breeding. The use of floating food pellets is a Human motivated development so humans could view their fish. Koi would prefer to follow their instincts and feed on the bottom, I always purchased sinking pellets for my fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@qclabrat - how about a neighborhood teen? Anyone live near by who might like to make a few extra dollars? You could portion out the food and ask them to stop by on an agreed upon time schedule. Or how about an older person who might enjoy spending some time by the pond? Just a few thoughts! That way you'd have some eyes on your pond as well as getting your fish fed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
One issue I have with the idea of auto feeders is that the pellets that fish are fed are densely packed with nutrients.
My question may be drifting towards general fish nutrition, but is regular feeding of high nutrition pellets really all that good for fish?
(goldfish, koi or other)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One issue I have with the idea of auto feeders is that the pellets that fish are fed are densely packed with nutrients.
My question may be drifting towards general fish nutrition, but is regular feeding of high nutrition pellets really all that good for fish?
(goldfish, koi or other)

Yes, providing it the amount fed does not exceed 2% of body weight for adult fish. It is used extensively in aquaculture operations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Explain that @MitchM - are you saying an auto feeder feeds different food?
No, all commercial fish food.
I think that if fish are offered nutrient dense food in pellet form, they will choose that over their more natural diet of algae grazing and various forms of plankton.
Besides of the possible imbalance in the fish diet, the pond ecosystem will be off balance, as the algae and plankton populations will continue to grow unchecked. Of course adding to the problem is that the pellets are adding phosphorous to the ecosystem. Of course, excess phosphorus leads to nuisance algae growth.

Yes, providing it the amount fed does not exceed 2% of body weight for adult fish. It is used extensively in aquaculture operations.

ok, thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think that if fish are offered nutrient dense food in pellet form, they will choose that over their more natural diet of algae grazing and various forms of plankton.

The specie (and age) of fish will determine its natural dietary preferences. Generally speaking, with the typical pond fish (Koi and Goldfish), these preferences change dramatically as a fish ages, especially Koi. As juveniles their diet is primarily plankton, both photo- and zoo-, but by the time that they reach adulthood this has changed to primarily nematodes, insects, meio-organisms, very little plant or algae and a lot of detritus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The specie (and age) of fish will determine its natural dietary preferences. Generally speaking, with the typical pond fish (Koi and Goldfish), these preferences change dramatically as a fish ages, especially Koi. As juveniles their diet is primarily plankton, both photo- and zoo-, but by the time that they reach adulthood this has changed to primarily nematodes, insects, meio-organisms, very little plant or algae and a lot of detritus.
Ok. That still goes toward my point that a fish' diet will not be balanced if it is fed only a single commercial food.
If their dietary requirements change as they age, a pond with fish of various ages, being fed a single commercial food will result in a less healthy fish population overall.
Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok. That still goes toward my point that a fish' diet will not be balanced if it is fed only a single commercial food.
If their dietary requirements change as they age, a pond with fish of various ages, being fed a single commercial food will result in a less healthy fish population overall.
Thanks.

This is very true but given that the pellet size of typical fish food is too large for smaller fish to consume, they are forced to scavenge the pond for their more natural diet.
Let's not forget that most garden ponds are overstocked in relation to natural food availability, so supplemental feeding is more of a necessity than an option.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes I agree, but I will always advocate for a healthy ecosystem balance and hopefully give people something to think about when setting up and stocking their ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ok, how about this in response to the OP's thread question:
The best auto feeder is to have a variety of native plantings that encourages local insect activity around the pond.
Done.

Ask a Question