Auto Feeders

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My biggest beef with autofeeders for ponds is that they are not designed well. They don't have a long tube that sends the food well into the water so it becomes a struggle setting them up on the rocks around the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, how about this in response to the OP's thread question:
The best auto feeder is to have a variety of native plantings that encourages local insect activity around the pond.
Done.

Considering that the average insect is 50% protein (or more) only supports the use of high protein fish food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A lined pond is restrictive, no doubt.
In my lined pond, operating since 2012, I have yet to see any outbreak of hair algae, there is a minnow population that seems to have stabilized at about 1000 in number. With the exception of last winter's die off, the goldfish population will probably level out at about 6 individuals and from what I have learned to date, my pond will not sustain any population of koi.
The last thing I want to do is provide supplemental feeding. My location is a bit unique though. Maybe a similar pond located further south could be configured differently in order to accommodate perhaps a couple of koi.

Ask a Question