Automatic varying pump regulator

Reaction score
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me where I can find or shop for an electrical automatic pump regulator. I would like my pump flow to continually change from no flow to the maximum 5000 gallons an hour. It runs on 110 ac current.

Thanks
pond003.jpg

Reaction score
Oh my gosh! Your pond is literally at the side of the road! I'm sure the drivers-by must do a double take on that!!! Do you have fish in there??

I'm not clear on your question. What exactly are you looking for the regulator to do?

Reaction score
If I have to change pumps I'll forget about my idea then Dr.Dave.

And yes Koikeepr, when i first installed the pond passer bys would do a double take specially at night with the lights on.

No fish last year, still debating if I should try this spring.

What I thought of trying to create was a 0 to 100 percent fluctuating fountain instead of the steady 3 foot flume but if that involves buying a new pump I'll be happy with what I've got.

pond008.jpg

Reaction score
I wonder if there is some kinda flow regulator on a timer where you could slap it on with your existing pump?

I know I've seen fountain kits that do this, but they are like 700-1000. Expensive!

Reaction score
Do they make a variable drive pond pump now? My well pump went out a year ago and I almost bought one but, it was too expensive and hard to justify at the time.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Are you really interested? If so, be prepared to learn ladder logic, have a programming computer and an interface to run the dc stepping motor. About $10K ought to get you a cheap one.

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input. I think my wallet says to stick with what I have for the time being.

Cheers,
Jeff

Reaction score
if you get an external pump assembly which takes a seperate IP44 motor, a variable speed AC motor running of a stage lighting dimmer pack could work, many dimmer packs have internal digi processing which could handle it.

Ive done similar before for special effects (do touring work for a living), waterfountains on stages etc....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That IP rating IP44; allows for a splash or water from any direction, but is not water tight. Beware of electocution if you use that near a pond.

Reaction score
externally tis fine, outside the pond will only be splashed and rained apon. Would be foolish if you placed it somewhere which would become submerged for any reason.

You will find most UVC lights are only IP44 rated, as are many pond switchunits, garden lighting etc etc etc.... all of which found around ponds.

Id assume the american laws are different, as in the UK, british standards dictate all installed perminent wiring outside MUST be on armoured cable, fixed to a structure or buried at least 1foot. There is a stupid clause that still classes it tempory if run off a 13amp plug and not hardwired, but is dangerous at best. As a sparky, i do worry about these things, rarely see 'proper' installs.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I work for a company that's sales are 70% outside the continental US, some are Marine applications. That said, we have to certify all our electrical equipment to meet DNV, ATEX, CE, UL, CSA and Hazardous Locations all while being IP66. Talk about a certification nightmare...

Armored cable has been a challenge that has driven us to work towards that as our world standard. I think we are going towards MCHL.

Ask a Question