Baby snail!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
So just a few minutes ago, I was gazing lovingly into my container pond, as one does and I noticed something round moving. This tiny snail must have come as an egg with who knows how many siblings on the camboba I bought last month! Is my tiny pond in danger of being inundated with snail babies?! What kind is that?

Attachments

• 9E4F5699-3BC2-414C-BD44-14A894D1CD22.jpeg
    9E4F5699-3BC2-414C-BD44-14A894D1CD22.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like a Physella acuta called a 'Bladder Snail' but with the image's resolution it is difficult to be sure. How big is your container pond and how many plants/fish do you have?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have plants, a pond snails will come! I put trap door snails in our ponds, some are gulf ball size now.

And a bunch of other snails have show up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I originally put 10 Japanese Trapdoor snails in my pond but wound up with a slew of different kinds probably brought in on plants so I added Assassin snails and they have brought it down to a manageable amount. Just my experience so far....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
It looks like a Physella acuta called a 'Bladder Snail' but with the image's resolution it is difficult to be sure. How big is your container pond and how many plants/fish do you have?
It’s about 5 gallons and I have 3 plant species; small duckweed, camboba Carolinia, and an iris versicolor. Thank you for your expertise! Am I wrong to be excited?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
Have plants, a pond snails will come! I put trap door snails in our ponds, some are gulf ball size now.

And a bunch of other snails have show up.
So cool! I think I’ve seen photos of them with algae growing on them! Adorable!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
I originally put 10 Japanese Trapdoor snails in my pond but wound up with a slew of different kinds probably brought in on plants so I added Assassin snails and they have brought it down to a manageable amount. Just my experience so far....
Assassin snails, that sounds so adorably deadly!

Ask a Question