Back filled pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That all depends on the shape of your pond liner if one hole at the bottom would drain the entire pond because it is pitched to one side then your good. but odds are your going to need a whole bunch of penitrations to allow the water to drain . No sitting water will equal no smell . Go to any active land fill on a rainy day and the pleasurable aroma is one you won't forget. Go to a caped sight and you'd never know it was a landfill as one time.
In short the faster the water drains away the less problems you will have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to everyone fore their advice.
For peace of mind ive decided to remove the soil & liner.
Refil with new soil ,returf.
Even if i could penitrate the liner it would take so long to drain as its on clay base.
My fault,live with it,expensive lesson learned.
Not bessed of weather but
Hopefully tackle job in about a week or so.
Will inform of progress.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thinking ahead,after old pond soil & liner have been removed,i will be left with a clayish pit,although back filling with fresh soil any intake of water will be slow to filter away,in time whats to stop similar process happening.
Ok i wont have pond silt to fermentate but will still create a dampish area and create another water build up,Also perhaps i should put a pipe through brick wall For a couple of feet& a few chippings ready for any water to escape,i could then have a diversion channel in ground away to a rain water gully.
Any thoughts please,cheers.

Attachments

• 20230103_122825.jpg
    20230103_122825.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
thinking ahead,after old pond soil & liner have been removed,i will be left with a clayish pit,although back filling with fresh soil any intake of water will be slow to filter away,in time whats to stop similar process happening.
Ok i wont have pond silt to fermentate but will still create a dampish area and create another water build up,Also perhaps i should put a pipe through brick wall For a couple of feet& a few chippings ready for any water to escape,i could then have a diversion channel in ground away to a rain water gully.
Any thoughts please,cheers.
I don't think you will have the same problem. The water will perc through the clay. My yard is all heavy clay under about a foot of top soil. After a heavy rain, there are a couple areas that stay wet for a couple days but it does dry out pretty quickly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The last paragraph in this link says to add organic material to clay soil to increase microbe activity, and only then will the structure of the soil improve.
https://www.gardenmyths.com/sand-and-clay-dont-make-concrete/

Thinking that if you add organic to the clay tho, the material would rot and the soil would start to sink and you would have to add more soil till it stopped sinking. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First rule is never try to compact soil in water. you need to pump it out or if its soup you need to pull it out. If you cant then you'll want to fill with stone until the water is hidden. and you may want to consider a pipe leading into the stone and brought up to grade. then finish filling with a similar soil as existing and cap with top soil

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to suggest the same - some kind of stand pipe to allow for any build up of gasses or water some where to escape might be a good fail safe. Someone mentioned a capped landfill - same idea.

We had a capped landfill nearby that they were able to use the methane gas for 2 decades to power a nearby municipal building. At the same time, they had 12 foot tall torches that burned 24 hours a day, helping to burn off the gas. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes i have my concerns about gases,would it benifit if i gottop6" of grass off to let it breath to the atmosphere
YES IF YOU COULD KEEP IT DRY UNTILL IT DRIES OUT and at 3 feet deep that will probably be months depending on soil type

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thinking that if you add organic to the clay tho, the material would rot and the soil would start to sink and you would have to add more soil till it stopped sinking. Thoughts?
YOU CAN ADD LIME, we have done so on construction sites that just absorbed so much water as the grade was being established. Lime will absorb the water, heat up somewhat burning it up but not like you may be thinking. But it will also kill any rot or odors but i believe the ratio was like 10 percent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
COMPACTION is what keeps it from becoming the same . remove the old liner use dry soil and compact it properly and add top soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Start the pond dig out today,while its cold,got 3 boys on the shovel today & a skip,they gonna earn thier money.
What a wiff,pumping water into tanks.
gonna haveto let this breath but for how long,any advice,trouble is close to other houses,gonna fill with water ,cant win here,if i lave till warm weather its gonna b a worse smell.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Half dug out,initial smell ,water a bit ripe,dug out about 4 .5 yrds smell gone but slurry,get that out tomorrow, got to refill this asap ,just not able to keep it dry or open for any period of time..inthe shade of the house

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
add lime it is what dpw does to a deer that's lying on the side of the road . no smell .....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree - a layer of lime will take care of the odor. But so will exposure to the air. That's just anoerobic bacteria that's creating the stink.

Ask a Question