j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm not going to buy it either, makes my pond look yucky w/ a yellowing poor bunch of plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You sure don't want all the fry to survive jw, neither do I. I am very happy to let natural selection work, and there is no way i can catch the suckers and get them out of there. Yeah water lettuce didn't do well for me either, the hyacinths did great, will get some more next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
As an update, since I tried bringing in the dwarf water lettuce and the few hyacinths that were floating in the bog. When I had these in my garage, under a florescent light, they were doing great, very dark green, seemed to be thriving. When I moved the buckets and lights to the basement, within less than a week, the water lettuce was all dead. What the ...??? The hyacinths are pretty much dead, too, although there are 2 green leaves on 2 of them, so still hoping. I even tried changing the water on the water lettuce, but that seemed to make it worse. Anyhow, as everyone knows, VERY hard to try to keep these 2 types over winter. I will, however, buy more of them in the spring, and not wait this year.
Your babies are beautiful, Baeya! Do you use flash when you take the pics? When I bought the koi in December, I took a BUNCH of pics of them in the buckets while I was acclimating them to the water. I found that changing the setting on the camera from auto to sport mode (faster shutter I think) helped make the pics crisper. Just keep changing the settings until you find one that works. I know my digital camera is nothing fancy, but I never use the flash unless it's really dark. Of course, taking a pic through glass will usually get you a flashback anyhow.
Oh, and I bought a 55 gal aquarium today, used, very good condition. Now just need to find a sturdy table to put it on. Someday, when I want to sell fish, I can fill it with pond water and be able to show the fish better than trying to get pics of them swimming around. :)
And, I checked into the trapdoor snails on E-bay. The one main seller on there said not too many large ones right now, but when she gets back into the pond in the spring, ALL of the ones she sells will be golf ball sized! Woohoo, I'm waiting until spring!!! They are great for aquariums, too!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Country my water lettuce were doing great in a oil pan with water and a fluorescent light but when I moved them to my aquarium they have not done very well at all. My hyacinth is growing pretty good though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder if they cannot take the warmer temps as mine are still doing good ,for aquariums you can get mystery snails as the trapdoors don't like warm temps either mine so far are doing good in the pond and the babes in the tank I moved to the guest house because it is cooler there .I don't turn the heat on in there unless it gets down below 20 .I have the water turned off out there .I just put an aerator on my pond plants to keep water from getting stale if water gets to warm it goes stale without oxygen

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hey, where ya been Baeya? you dont ever pop in here anymore... i think we all enjoyed your company,...you coming back or what? i hope your not thru here!

Ask a Question