Bare Root Water Lilies....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another question: when they are bare root [whether in baskets or anchored by rocks]....

Do you make any adjustments to their depth? I know with potted lilies, you start them out [in the spring] shallow, and move them deeper as they grow. Do you do the same for "bare roots" or just leave them where you put them?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just put mine back on the same shelf 18" down.............but then mine are in the testing stage. 1st time doing this. We'll see how they do this Summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmmmm, I'm going to experiment with this method and see how it goes......sure would be easier than messing with soil and fertilizer tabs!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I converted mine over yesterday. I put them in baskets and zip-tied some mesh to cover the top of the basket. So far, I've got one that's reaching its little leaves upward!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was gonna do the mesh but then thought my fish might get stuck in it so just laid some rocks over the roots. If they come loose I may ties some fish line around the tubers loosely just so they can't escape the pots.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am tempted to try this. But my lilies did so well last year, I'd hate to NOT see all the blooms if it doesn't work out. I realize they will get nutrients from the water, but I don't see how they could get as much as when you fertilize with tabs every couple weeks. Sure would be INFINITELY easier not having to pot AND not having to fertilize.

What's the purpose of the pot if there is no soil or cat litter in it? Is that just a means to anchor it so it isn't floating around? I seem to recall a thread last summer I think that you can just toss 'em in the water and let 'em do their thing that way. Mine would be sucked up by my skimmer, or splashed by the waterfall I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am going to do this. Two of my lilies need to be divided, so it will be a good chance to experiment. I'm all about whatever is easiest!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some sort of escape their pots, ended up being free in the pond. To be honest the ones in the pots bloomed more. The ones free did fine, just not as may blooms.

But then again, I don't have a ton of fish to the size of pond I have, so maybe not enough poo

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep the pots I use are just to restrain them from falling off the shelves by pushy fish and out of the way when I net the bottom. Anxious to see how they do this year w/o any soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I planted mine in oil pans with kitty litter and used Osamacote, then secured with fencing and zip ties.....nothing easy about growing lilies with koi!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bare root and freefloating are 2 different things... lillies are bare root 'planted'. instead of soil you put htem in a mesh pot and river rock or gravel. something that allows for water flow and direct contact between root and water. absolutely no need for fertilizing. thaey draw nutrients from the water. this helps keep cleaner healthier water. thays the whole purpose of it. you can just place a rhizone on the floor of pond and place a few nice coconut size stones around it to keep it down. let the roots grow and remove ammonias, nitrates, etc..from the water. freefloting plannts are water hyacinths, lettuce, frogbit, etc.. same idea. dont feed them , let them feed on the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had put mine in square baskets and covered the top of the baskets with mesh, but pulled the mesh off yesterday as I was afraid the leaves might not be able to find their way up to and through the mesh openings. At this point, what leaves there are are few & far between. I have the baskets weighted with a rock and I zip-tied the tubers [rhizomes, whatever they are] loosly to the basket so they would stay there and not float out. Right now, I have the baskets suspended off the bottom of the pond [tied to liner rocks] until they start to grow more, then I'll move them to the bottom. I might put a little gravel in the baskets, just to give the roots something to grab onto.

We seem to have more tree growth this year, so I HOPE the lilies can get enough sunlight!

Ask a Question