j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm thinking w/ these free of soil plants we all need to give them a couple seasons to see how they do as they might just need to get accustomed to this new not wearing anything on their bottoms plan :ROFLMAO:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm thinking w/ these free of soil plants we all need to give them a couple seasons to see how they do as they might just need to get accustomed to this new not wearing anything on their bottoms plan :ROFLMAO:
lol jw, that must be it!

and jw your lilies have more pads to surface then mine do, even the ones in litter, we have been wet and cool or cold this spring.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really addy more pads then the ones in the litter? Well then maybe there is hope!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
None of my lilies are doing well, the ones in the kitty litter are doing the best. I did groom them hard and it has been a cool wet spring. the pond water is only 51 degrees as of today, not even feeding yet

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lots of time left and you guys will get that hot heat and your lilies will flow out of your ponds there will be so many blooms!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So far, none of mine are doing much. A couple -- I have 5 plants -- have put out leaves [or pads], just a few, though, but no evidence of buds yet.

HOWEVER, I kinda messed things up by tearing the pond down. All of my "bare root" lilies [which is all 5 of them] got put in tubs that just sit in the sun. Two I put in the stock tank with the fish, but they get very limited sunlight there.

There was one, James Brydon I think, that I've had for 2 years [ this is the 3rd growing season for it ]-- it has never done much other than put out a few pads -- never any buds. When I dug it up this spring, there were very few roots, and now that it's "naked" and I can watch it, still very few roots. It's been "bare root" now for well over 2 months -- So, what's going on with that? @addy1, @j.w, @adavisus, @minnowman -- any ideas?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Mmathis could something be eating the tiny roots coming off the plant? I hear they are delicious!
My bare root ones are not growing like gangbusters but then that is normal here for our fickle weather. Looks like there is a lot of mulmy stuff covering my tubers and I'm hoping that is going to give them a good dose of food for them to get going.
I sure got my pond water cleared up using my net and that new prefilter and also running water through the quilt batting forever and ever. I can see the bottom now.

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

Then there are these tiny baby tubers that must have broken off and are free floating in a corner where Parrots Feather and other gangly viney things are trying to grow. Those pads are only about an inch or so wide in the photo below:
IMG_5817.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis could something be eating the tiny roots coming off the plant? I hear they are delicious!
My bare root ones are not growing like gangbusters but then that is normal here for our fickle weather. Looks like there is a lot of mulmy stuff covering my tubers and I'm hoping that is going to give them a good dose of food for them to get going.
I sure got my pond water cleared up using my net and that new prefilter and also running water through the quilt batting forever and ever. I can see the bottom now.

View attachment 71391
View attachment 71392
Then there are these tiny baby tubers that must have broken off and are free floating in a corner where Parrots Feather and other gangly viney things are trying to grow. Those pads are only about an inch or so wide in the photo below:
View attachment 71393

At this point, only tadpoles are in with the lilies. Would they eat the roots?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well if 3rd season and still not doing well, I would toss it. Have you tried to put it real shallow, like 6 inches deep

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well if 3rd season and still not doing well, I would toss it. Have you tried to put it real shallow, like 6 inches deep
Yes, that's about its depth now. It's in a tub and I have it elevated off the bottom.

I'd considered tossing it, but thought I'd give it one more chance, however...... :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think tadpoles would eat them but then what do I know about that..............nothing :)

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
.Lilies need nutrients to thrive and bloom. A bare root plant can only thrive if it has plenty of muck to grow in. Almost any named tropical will have one or more blooms open every day in the growing season if it has adequate nutrition, which usually means dirt and regular fertilization. The only down side is that they get big!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ours are planted in plastic mesh pots filled with pea gravel. They are growing well and have bloomed multiple times this year. Left undisturbed, the detritus that settles on or around the tubers provides adequate nutrients to grow our plants. I will never use fertilizer tabs or spikes again - the excessive nutrients they release surely foster lily growth- but will also directly contribute to increased algae blooms. Why would you want the algae to thrive along with your beautiful lilies?o_O

Ours are hardy lilies, by the way. Our northwestern climate isn't consistently warm enough for tropicals to thrive, I would imagine.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's what I'm hoping for that mine in the baskets topped w/ just a rock to hold them down will gather enough of that detritus settling on them to get them growing and blooming nicely. It sure looks like to me they have plenty on them right now. The plastic screened baskets seem to hold the muck in there so it keeps them covered. Will be so easy to divide if this works. I did try the pea gravel for a few years but the pots were so heavy to deal with so giving the lightweight project a try.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's what I'm hoping for that mine in the baskets topped w/ just a rock to hold them down will gather enough of that detritus settling on them to get them growing and blooming nicely. It sure looks like to me they have plenty on them right now. The plastic screened baskets seem to hold the muck in there so it keeps them covered. Will be so easy to divide if this works. I did try the pea gravel for a few years but the pots were so heavy to deal with so giving the lightweight project a try.

When I planted ours in nothing but gravel last year, they grew and bloomed a little but after a year in the pond they seem to have collected enough sediment to grow well. I'm sure that will happen for you too eventually, j.w. Now if we could only get some consistent sun in our neck of the woods...:confused:

Ask a Question