Barred owl

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had two raccoons in the pond this past week. I trapped and released them across the wide Missouri River. Ha! Those two aren't coming back. This morning I saw a barred owl (we have two in our neighborhood) sitting on the small serviceberry trees that are next to my pond Agh!! I actually didn't see him, but flushed him out when I walked to the pond. He flew about 20 feet away and sat in the mulberry tree looking right at me. I walked over to him and he flew about 30 feet south. I went inside and came out about 20 minutes later and he was back in the serviceberry trees next to the pond. I thought my only worries were the raccoons. Now it seems like I need to get netting, which I suppose would serve the dual purpose of keeping leaves out of the pond in the fall....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here in Tennessee we have alot of barred owls..... their main diet is frogs, crayfish, rodents and a fish if they can catch it . If your pond is deep enough the chances of them catching a fish is slim..... owls want a flight path where they can swoop down get it’s prey and keep on flying, they are not going to sit in a pond and wait for a fish to come to them.....so anything that interrupts their flight path will deter them ..... the same with raccoons..... if you have a shallow pond where they can sit there and wait it out they will catch your fish but if it has deep sides they won’t bother them.... I have raccoons that come every night to eat the sunflower seeds out of my bird feeder.... never bothered the fish to much trouble..... just like my garbage bin.... two bungee straps, they don’t even try anymore..... LoL

CJM

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an owl that stocks my pond and perches for several minutes unfettered by camera flashings lights or sirens, when fish come near surface, it strikes and flys off and then returns..this occurred over a period of 3 hours.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have an owl that stocks my pond and perches for several minutes unfettered by camera flashings lights or sirens, when fish come near surface, it strikes and flys off and then returns..this occurred over a period of 3 hours.
hi.gif
and welcome @CJM
Time for a net if you want to keep your fish safe.

Ask a Question