Barrel, Bog or both

Reaction score
We have a few preforms and stock tanks that drain into the next part of the pond loop. For our outs we just drilled a one inch or two inch hole, stuck a piece of one or two inch pvc in the hole, gooped it up with pl roofing goop, let it dry, done. It has been that way for 4 years now.
Our spring project is going to be a bog at the top of our stream and I think I've settled on a stock tank. I'm not sure how to create the outflow from the bog though. What stops the pea gravel exiting with the water?

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hey Anthony, so good to meet you. A bio-filter is certainly the answer and they can me easily made. Years ago our first filter was an upflow and that worked great for a while and then hair algae and suspended started showing up. A friend of ours found a good downflow bio-filter where all debris from the bottom of the pond is brought up to the top of the filter and is trapped in the pre-filter which has three layers of window screening. I still have 2 of those filters working and I have never cleaned the bio-media.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Oh, before I forget. Be careful of the bog if you will be using dirt for the plants. You don't want that water running into the pond because it can cause problems.
Your's Koily, Lorraine

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As you can see from the picture I have a lot of string algae. I am also down to just one fish so it's growing image.jpg image.jpg faster then it can be eaten. My original build I overlooked filtration, I understand there will be some algae but to don't what an excessive amount. Here is where I left off after some work today. I still have yet to get the gravel and plants, my local garden store doesn't have and pond plants yet.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh, before I forget. Be careful of the bog if you will be using dirt for the plants. You don't want that water running into the pond because it can cause problems.
Your's Koily, Lorraine

Why do some people believe that soil is a danger in Garden Ponds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Addy/Meyer, I added a 90 on the left side to move water in that dead spot. I was thinking for the right side I am going to extent my out flow pipe on that side so it will pull water from that side into my waterfall box.

My next question is should I extent my gravel above the waterline? If I do I will have to come up with some way to keep my gravel from flowing back out. Screen or something.

Is there anything worse than rinsing bags of gravel?!?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had the gravel above the water line, over time it settled below, so now spots are above, spots are below. We did not rinse our gravel, on a well, too much, and a very dry summer. It does not flow out with the water, even when I had it above the water. It might if you have rapids going on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bog is done! 25 bags of pea gravel hand washed and plants in. Need to get a few bags of mulch to straighten up the surrounding landscape. Added 2 new fish (3 total) Now begone string algae!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic, love the layout and the bench.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thx! I have been working on it off and on this week. Had to stay home with my Son Wednesday and today, he has this crazy spring sickness that is going around. So I was able to put in some quality time on it and finished it up today. It was a hot one, think we peaked out at 90 degrees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh! That nice last picture I posted was short lived... I have string algae worse then ever! I even lost a fish, I don't know if it's related or not.. But scooped out a big glob of it and found one of the fish I most recently purchased.
I believe I have it down to 2 reasons for the outbreak. 1 - My aerator is not working. After 2 attempts to fix it failed. I bought a new one, aquascape with 2 airs tones. Just hooked it up tonight. 2- this is just an educated guess, I didn't completely clean off the dirt from my bog plants. I figured they needed a little dirt to get the roots established. Some of that rich dirt washed down into the main pond and got this growing that much more?

Ask a Question