Basement Fish Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Thank you all for your input a year ago and I am more determined than ever to have koi in my pond outdoors which means overwintering them. So next spring I am going to put them in my outdoor pond and bring them in next winter. Because the pond is in the basement and we live in a very cold dry climate, house humidity is not a problem. I still think this pond will be large enough for 3 Koi over winter if I look after the water quality. I need to know the size and type of biofiltration and pump I will need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your input a year ago and I am more determined than ever to have koi in my pond outdoors which means overwintering them. So next spring I am going to put them in my outdoor pond and bring them in next winter. Because the pond is in the basement and we live in a very cold dry climate, house humidity is not a problem. I still think this pond will be large enough for 3 Koi over winter if I look after the water quality. I need to know the size and type of biofiltration and pump I will need.
Just curious, how deep & large is your outdoor pond?
You can do indoor housing for the winter in your basement pond but...
If you visit a pond store that boards fish you will often see them in 'close quarters.' But those facilities use gigantic mechanical, biological and chemical filtration and often have a staff member dedicated to care and quality of life of the boarded fish some of which are worth thousands of dollars. The picture of your pond shows what looks like a Pondmaster 190 filter which is a real solid performer but much too small for Koi. Another consideration is the size of the fish as they grow. For the first couple of years you might be fine but Koi get big. Anyway, just my two cents worth!
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
The outdoor pond is 1000gal (which is what I measured it at but it sure looks bigger to me). It is about 2.5' deep at the deepest point. There are a pile of rocks in it so maybe that is why it measures so much less than I think it should? The outdoor filter is a Fish Mate 3000 P-UV which I was planning on setting up for the basement pond if I got Koi because the Pondmaster just doesn't keep the water quality where it should be. The goldfish survive but I know for sure that the Koi will need the big filter. As they get larger, your idea of "boarding" them over winter is a great idea. I don't know if anyone in the city do that but I will check with out local pet store.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The outdoor pond is 1000gal (which is what I measured it at but it sure looks bigger to me). It is about 2.5' deep at the deepest point. There are a pile of rocks in it so maybe that is why it measures so much less than I think it should? The outdoor filter is a Fish Mate 3000 P-UV which I was planning on setting up for the basement pond if I got Koi because the Pondmaster just doesn't keep the water quality where it should be. The goldfish survive but I know for sure that the Koi will need the big filter. As they get larger, your idea of "boarding" them over winter is a great idea. I don't know if anyone in the city do that but I will check with out local pet store.
You might try the Fish Gallery, 959 Main Street or Lacoste Garden Center, 2787 Saint Mary's Road. They might board or know someone who does. Good luck!
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you live in Winnipeg?
Oh no, great place to visit but I live in the 'lower 48!' I am retired now but used to extensively travel and write for 8 publications (aquarium, pond and scuba) and when I had time, actually taught a college class! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I live in winnipeg and Nestors has ton of indoor tubs for overwintering koi etc. I just bought a fish tank so I could watch them this winter on my new outdoor pond.

Ask a Question