sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are all going into pond withdrawal as winter is coming .When they say we have a pond addiction they are not kidding :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I personally think being a contrarian can push and develop knowledge better than conformity. Having said that, I am a fan of Graham's Model of disagreement and Hitchen's Razor (What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence). Sticking to these basic guidelines, it doesn't matter what's popular, just what can be supported with good evidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Graham_(computer_programmer)#Graham.27s_hierarchy_of_disagreement
I "liked" it 'cause it sounded smart, but no clue what those theories are, LOL! Guess I better check out the link.

If anyone remembers Water Bug, a member who dropped out a few years ago. He always seemed to have a slightly different "take" on whatever the topic was. His arguments were based in scientific fact, just that he was often on the other side of the fence -- I sure do miss him, though. Anyway, he could come up with some odd outlooks -- not right or wrong, not bad or good, just different. But I'll bet there were a dozen or more times when his "out of the box" thinking lead me to look outside the box as well, and to realize that "just because it's always been done that way, doesn't mean it always has to continue being done that way" [as long as you have the desired outcome]. He was big into experimentation. If he had an idea, he would test it.....numerous different ways. And he often admitted that sometimes things just don't work the way you want them to in your head. But you learn by trying new things, new ideas........

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I LOVE different opinions and perspectives. I thrive on those things. I love people who make my brain work hard (looking at you @Meyer Jordan and you @MitchM and all you other smarty pond folks) and even if I end up thinking "nope. Don't agree with that" so what! Discourse is great fun if people keep it friendly and positive and realize no one is gonna take your pond away if you don't agree!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To me what ever makes your pond work and makes you happy and fish are healthy is all that matters .That is why I thought outside the box .Part of it was my dads influence and the rest were things I found on here and you tube and then I combined them all to work for me .They you never know until you try it .I sure won't eat meat but won't put other people down for it because I have never tried it does not mean it is not good .Just my choice .I try to keep an open mind about stuff .We sometimes make a post here into something good and something different

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I LOVE different opinions and perspectives. I thrive on those things. I love people who make my brain work hard (looking at you @Meyer Jordan and you @MitchM and all you other smarty pond folks) and even if I end up thinking "nope. Don't agree with that" so what! Discourse is great fun if people keep it friendly and positive and realize no one is gonna take your pond away if you don't agree!

Back atcha, Lisak.
I like hearing other people's take on things as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I personally think being a contrarian can push and develop knowledge better than conformity. Having said that, I am a fan of Graham's Model of disagreement and Hitchen's Razor (What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence). Sticking to these basic guidelines, it doesn't matter what's popular, just what can be supported with good evidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Graham_(computer_programmer)#Graham.27s_hierarchy_of_disagreement

I've never heard of that before.
Thanks for that.

Ask a Question