j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you are having some nice weather Lou to get your chores done. Nothing like a sunny day to cheer one's spirit :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can't wait to be able to get back outside and clean up the yard and pond area. The dogs will be glad too, especially Chumlee our boxer puppy. He needs more time out to run and play and burn off all his energy.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Im with ya Lou Its gotten in the 60s the last 2 weekends and goes back down to single digits during the week , since i dont work weekends its been good for the yard
50s tomorrow snow sunday im really hurting this weekend

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would like some sunshine and 68 degrees please!!!!!! :)

Reaction score

I definitely get "SAD" every winter. We always called it "cabin fever", but now they have an actual medical term for it.
The basis for this is the sun's radiation. Specific radiation from the sun causes vitamin D to be created in the skin. The skin being more than just a protective covering, it is actually an organ.

Vitamin D acts like a hormone which enhances positive moods and functionality of the body, brain and overall well being.

During the winter months, especially in colder climes, your skin is least exposed to the sun. Whether it be because you are more often covered up by winter clothes, indoors more often or that the tilt of the earth reduces the radiation available from the sun to your location, i.e it (the sun) is further away and the total hours of daylight are less.

I wouldn't recommend tanning beds during winter, but if you have a chance to experience a sunny and warm day, you should be outside in the sun. If it is warm enough, you should remove your coat and wear a sleeveless shirt or take your shirt off and get the most exposure you can. Within reason of course. Some of us just don't look good naked anymore, so don't offend your neighbors or get a ticket for indecent exposure.

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We've had some really nice weather this past week -- freezing at night, but daytime warmth enough to get outside. Have gotten lots of renovation work done on the pond as well as work on the new turtle bog.

Sometimes I really do believe that I suffer from SADD -- I crave being outside during the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice weather today but standing on the cold ground your feet get chilly and then you feel the chill spreading through your body .50 degrees but also don't want to get sick

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
COLD AND HEAVY SNOW HERE. BUT I STILL DID A 55 GAL WATER CHANGE, AND NETTED OUT THE FISHWATES. OF COURSE IT WAS IN THE BASEMENT POND SO THE WEATHER DIDNT MUCH MATTER!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish it was sunny and warm here... We've been breaking records for cold temps, as low as -15, and -50 windchill, and seems like I've gotta shovel every couple of days. Its been a miserable winter. The last two winters have been mild so I suppose this is some sort of payback by mother nature.

I've pretty much been in hibernation mode, counting down the days to mid-March, which is when we usually start seeing more warm days and less snow. By mid April, hopefully sooner, plants should be starting to grow and buds should be appearing. - - - Let me tell you, when that stuff starts happening, its like seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JB, when that sky opens up and the clouds all part to the warmth of the bright and glorious sunshine and melts all that stuff away.we all want to be able to hear you standing outside w/ your arms wide apart up to the sky yelling at the top of your lungs a great big "AAAAAAAAAALELUJAH"

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yay we have the sun back here in all it's glory. Not very warm,only 34f and going down to 21f tonight or colder out where we are. I don't care as long as it is sunny and dry. Not giving up yet on snow in our future yet tho.............never give up til April 1st as we did get it one year on that day I believe :cool:

Ask a Question