Beckett Pump Owners and UV Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello, I picked up a Beckett 1,200GPH Waterfall pump today from Home Depot for $30, The package was open and the previous owner sealed a 1/2" barb fitting in the 1" hole and returned it because he was not getting the amount of flow that it described (No Crap!) so I snagged it up after sweet talking the manager down from $110 to $30 :coolgleema:

I wanted to know if any of you have had experience or own one of these Pumps from Beckett around this size? All I have been reading on HD reviews were very negative about the impeller breaking, and I myself have a Beckett 650gph and was my first pump ad has been doing fine for almost 2 years now. Granted their pumps have a 2 year warranty Im not worried about this one breaking anytime soon, but wanted to know just your opinions if any? Here is the pump after me snatching the 1/2" barbe fitting out of it and cleaning all the dried sealant off
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3765]

My next Question has to do with my 9w UV sterilizer. Put it short, it's not working but I have no idea why? I bought 4 replacement bulbs thinking a bulb went out (only after 4 months?) but still nothing, so I hooked a OHM/Volt meter up and it is getting power, and the inside of the bulbs under the coils flashes but never turns on or lights the coils up? :dunno:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have several becket pumps that I took out of ponds I took apart and one has a date on it for 1999 and they all work ,I do know that .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Isn't there ballasts on the u.v 's .I thought I read it some where . :question:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could look it up but I thought it was where the plug goes in .Does the top come apart any where .Maybe there is something on you tube that can tell you

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked at my uv on my house filter which of course is different and it has some type of thing inside the top that says ballast on a tiny little square thing .It also says in the book under maintaining it how to trouble shoot any problems and talks about a ballast .So makes me wonder but since that is the only uv I own I am not sure .I don't have one in my pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is, The wiring is filled with a resin epoxy of some sort for waterproof design im sure. I will see if I can tinker with it tonight.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If it is a Jebao (or Jebo, or probably a dozen similar names), you can get spare parts from the factory in China..... as long as you're willing to buy by the container load! In other words, they are disposable.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks John for the heads up, I did not get to look into it last night. I did test the Beckett Pump and Took it all apart to look at the Shaft (Ceramic), The Impeller (plastic), and the magnet shaft as well. The pumps works great and put's out more water than anything I have so far But I noticed some weird things that I have not noticed on other pumps that I have taken apart, maybe some of you have knowledge to why they are this way?

The First thing is that there is a Triangle shaped shaft sticking out over the impeller and in between the outflow hole, here:
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3767]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3768]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3769]
Wouldn't that block some of the flow? I am no engineer so if anyone knows why it is there please feel free to explain. Also, The plastic impeller's back side is a "Webbed" wall with even cuts in between each impeller blade, But there is one that has a Rounded corner cut instead of 90 degree cut like the rest in between, wouldn't this cause an imbalance to the impeller?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe it is for balance .I did look at one of mine after your post and it has the same setup and if it works I would not worry about it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looked at the other 2 beckets after I braved the cold wind to go down to the basement and they are the same way .Maybe it is to help it stay clean of junk

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lol, Dave
Yeah im definitely not going to try and remove it, just wondering why it was there and not on my Pond Master products and Jebao Pumps

Ask a Question