Bees are swarming my bird feeder!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have noticed them off and on in the last few days. We can't really get close enough to see if they are honeybees or yellow jackets. But they will swarm the feeder (it's the kind that spins off squirrels) and go in the holes, just for a sec. They fly around probably 50 at a time, and seem to chase away the birds. The bees go away after a little while, and the birds come back. Then the bees come back - and so on. Has anyone seen this before? I wonder if they are hoping to make a home inside it? That would actually be cool, since we could see through it. I read one similar account online. Pretty interesting!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try to get a pic, honey bees might smell something that makes them think there is pollen in there. They usually go for something bigger for a home. And if swarming and moving in they just move in. Scout bees look for a new home, but only one or two bees at a time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Still pictures really can't show how many there are. It is really fascinating!!!!! They are out there right now, tons of them. Chasing away the birds and the squirrels! I think at night, we will have to bring the feeder in and wait for them to lose interest. What is really of note is that there is a hummingbird feeder 5 feet away. They are ignoring that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just read a thing online that said they can be attracted to corn or milo in a bird feeder. Said they can empty a bird feeder trying to get at it to carry away the dust of it. Weird thing they said it happens in Spring after a cold winter when they are hungry for food. No mention of Summer but maybe those bees of yours are starving for something. Found it on: https://lansingwbu.blogspot.com/2013/04/why-bees-would-swarm-around-cracked.html

Ask a Question