Benigoi Koi ?

Reaction score
What characteristics differentiate a Benigoi Koi from a red or red orange koi? Are they the considered Benigoi Koi as well?

Can some one explain the difference to me other than possibly telling me that Benigoi means orange / red koi.

Are they solid orange or are they white or silver on the underside etc.....

Not being a wise ass, just would like understand the difference.

Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Quote from Koi Kichi, KAWARIMONO' variaties This is a collective name for non-mettalic Koi which with the exception of Goshiki, do not fall into any of the described variaties. They are however, true varieties but compete against each other in a show under Kawarimono'classification.
Kigoi-All yellow free of orange blemishes
Shiro Muji - All white
Benigoi or AKA Muji- Benigoi is an all red Koi: look for examples free from small black blemishes
Ogon, would be all orange with a mettalic finish
Orenji-Matsuba- would be all red deep orange with a pine cone effect

Now with that being said, Paul Waddington is a UK writer and there may be more defined descriptions by US judging and japanese breeders. Unfortunately all the other books I have do not describe benigoi in there writings.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You probably have already seen this post somewhere else. I wanted to post it here so anyone else here that might be intrested saw it too.​
Benigoi or Higoi are Koi that are solid red. When buying a Benigoi, look for solid
Hi. Check the fish over for any old scars or bad scales, for these will take away
from the look of the Koi.​
benigoi.jpg

Benigoi or Higoi?
Benigoi and Higoi are the same fish. The name, Benigoi, is given
to the Higoi with exeptionally deep red.​

Ask a Question