Best Fry Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have another thread on finding fry this is a thread on the best way to set them up for winter.

So I added more water to the tote today from tap. I didn't fill as if it rains-I didn't want them to be close to the top. I still don't have a tank for inside, nor do I really know what filter I need. I was thinking of leaving them outside for a couple weeks and getting a filter to place in the tote. As they are so small, I will never get them all unless I start feeding them and they grow.

Should I place a new thread for filter questions? I'll put here anyways. I will also post some pics of the tote and what pics I have of the fry along with filter options and questions. Water is starting to get green and cloudy--how often should I change it? As I just added the 5 gals today.

Which filter is the best option is any of these and what size would I get for a 40 or 55 gal.? Can I put one while still outside and hide the pump under that green pot like the current pump? Also do I need the air stones to put in the center of the filters? I was going to get 2 filters. What size and suggestions for an air pump to run them, do I still need a separate air stone? I wasn't going to use a heater or rocks on the bottom, but a lighted cover and live plants. Without gravel, how do you get the plants to sink? That may seem like a stupid question, but I haven't had an aquarium in many yrs. Last, what is the best check valve?

You have to look close to see the fry. Let me know if you see them.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 185
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 20190813_122014.jpg
    20190813_122014.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 166
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 20190811_194109.jpg
    20190811_194109.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 189
  • sponge filter-1.jpg
    sponge filter-1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 203
  • sponge filter-2.jpg
    sponge filter-2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 164
  • sponge filter 3.jpg
    sponge filter 3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 180
  • airstone.jpg
    airstone.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score
Country
United States
Forgive me for not knowing about your other posts...I've been on extended assignment. Did you get the fry from your pond or from another person?
If you must keep them in the tote you have I would make sure it doesn't overheat in the sun.
Yes, sponge filters are wonderful. I currently use a bunch of what you have in your images 1 jpg and 2 jpg. You won't need another air stone with those sponge filters. Given the size of your container, I would use sponge filter 2 jpg. Get an air pump specifically made for outdoor use. Is that some sort of heater that you have in the tank? I see what looks like a bucket drip to add water. Good idea. Make sure to treat the tap water first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Forgive me for not knowing about your other posts...I've been on extended assignment. Did you get the fry from your pond or from another person?
If you must keep them in the tote you have I would make sure it doesn't overheat in the sun.
Yes, sponge filters are wonderful. I currently use a bunch of what you have in your images 1 jpg and 2 jpg. You won't need another air stone with those sponge filters. Given the size of your container, I would use sponge filter 2 jpg. Get an air pump specifically made for outdoor use. Is that some sort of heater that you have in the tank? I see what looks like a bucket drip to add water. Good idea. Make sure to treat the tap water first.
Hi Stephen, I got the fry from my pond when I took plants out to fertilize. Never knew they were there until a week or so later. That's when I added some more water as it was only 4" deep. I was only planning on keeping them outside until I got a 40-55 gal. tank. Some of them are so tiny-I can hardly see them and I don't know how I would transfer them all to the tank unless they were bigger. Problem is I have not fed them anything yet and the plants in there, don't have much algae left. Can I give them a little fry food before I have a filter in there? How many of the sponges do you think I will need for a 40 or 55 gal.? I would like to oversize if I can safely. Also-they don't need any gravel on the bottom, do they?
That is not a heater, but a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp. The water is getting cloudy and green and I had a bunch of mosquito larvae in with them, but today I do not see many, maybe cause I put the air stone in? The fry are smaller than the larvae.
Once I get the tank in the house, what is the best way to set it up and bring them in? I'm having a problem with my pond water right now from all the spawning, so I have not used any of that water. I would either go all tap, or some of the green water they are in, but would that ever clean in a tank? Also there is a bunch of junk of the bottom of it from the plants. Would I put that stuff in the tank?

Ask a Question