best biofilter medium: springflow, bioballs, something else?

Reaction score
wanted to get some input. i'm replacing a big hulking old filthy lava rock with a bag of something more effective (and lighter)

have seen folks talking up bio balls, but i also see this savio springflow stuff which some are touting

experience/opinions/thoughts?

thanks folks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use to use lava rocks for years, than when I bought my bio filter, they sent me a huge bag of bio balls free. Been using them ever since. I had no issues with the lava rock other than they are heavy to lift out and clean. Both did a good job.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've used lava rock and honestly, I didn't like it at times as it channeled and caught muck in corners and dead spots. Bio-balls are what I have been using along with matala as a polisher, but if I had a choice and price wasn't a factor I think I would try the springflow as first option of the three listed. I'm really wanting to try cermedia in a trickle tower system as IMO this is the best bio-media so far on the market. But it's not cheap and it's really only most effective when water runs through it with 100% oxygen saturation. For a flow through system the savio Springflow has been getting consistant good reviews since it was released.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got springflow in the Savio we purchased over 15 years ago. It's still in there and works great. I just got 2 more boxes of it and was surprised to see it says to replace it yearly! Don't think so! The old stuff still looks and feels like new so hopefully the new stuff is the same. It is pricey tho.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got springflow in the Savio we purchased over 15 years ago. It's still in there and works great. I just got 2 more boxes of it and was surprised to see it says to replace it yearly! Don't think so! The old stuff still looks and feels like new so hopefully the new stuff is the same. It is pricey tho.

I have had the savio springflo for 8 years and still looks and works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I think the correct answer for the type of media to use is "whatever works best for you." There's quite a variety of media types being used by folks here. Plastic-based media seems to be the more popular choice, as you reduce (or eliminate) the issues of clogging and frequent replacement. Also you can get very creative with whatever you have lying around. Some folks cut up old sprinkler pipes. Some use plastic strapping used for shiping boxes. If your media is lightweight, you can make maintenance easier by packing the media into mesh laundry bags with the draw-string closures. Bacteria isn't picky about what it calls home. Give it something it can stick to, and it will grow. The more surface area you can create, the more bacteria you will have, and the more efficient your filter will be.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I need about 2 cubic feet of bio balls for my bio-filter. Can't afford much right now. Looking for the lowest price. I am currently using 3 inch diameter PVC pipe cut in 2 inch lecgths. Works for now, but would like to use bio balls instead.
Any low cost ideas?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get some of window screening, for around 18 dollars you can get a pretty good roll of it. Unwind it, crumple and put into the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy - are you using the metal or the fiberglass screen? I couldn't find any pure plastic screen last time I looked, and was always afraid that the fiberglass based types would break down over time and release glass into my pond. I've had the same concern with a number of the furnace filters I've seen... many are fiberglass based, and it seems to be impossible to find something similar that is made from pure plastic.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn addy is off on a trip right now w/ her DH but I think she is talking about the fiberglass screen door material. I used it for my floating plant rings and it hasn't broken down at all in a few yrs...............yet. Could you just use that bird netting stuff all crumpled up or the deer fencing stuff?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn addy is off on a trip right now w/ her DH but I think she is talking about the fiberglass screen door material. I used it for my floating plant rings and it hasn't broken down at all in a few yrs...............yet. Could you just use that bird netting stuff all crumpled up or the deer fencing stuff?

Either of those would work great. Shdwdrgn it is the fiberglass screening. The bird net stuff would work also, get whatever is cheapest.

Ask a Question