Betta sorority and guppies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Local store doesn’t have the treatment. I’ll go to the big store next town over and see what they’ve got, as well as hit tractor supply, Atwood’s, etc to find what I may need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Got treatment, now working on rearranging who’s in what tank for treatment. White betta is in hospital tank with the weakest guppy, I’ll add the other fancy’s once they adjust to temps, they were in a cooler temp tank. Plain guppies are all going to be in one tank, and the tetras go back to the pleco tank for half dose treatment. Using Kordon rapid attack for the hospital tank, and I filled all the betta cups from that before adding the fish. Then the plain guppies will get jungle ich Guard, regular strength, and the pleco tank will get that half dose. I’m waiting on fish to adjust to temps, then I’ll add them, give them an hour, and medicate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Due to natural predators, and an overly armorus male, I’m down to one female betta! But the guppies population exploded! I just found new fry, still clear! Between the orange female and two blue males, I’m getting some pretty combinations, a few with almost purple colors!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So update. I’d already posted it in main chat, but just in case others decide to try this too.
I have betta babies, apparently at least 3 were spawned over the summer, though I never saw bubble nest. They all kinda look like their mom, some more red, two are more more drab, but still smaller than she was when I got her, so time to grow and fill out.
As for guppies, I’ve now set up a second tank, with a substrate of kitty litter, and a few water lillies. That one has just the guppies I want to breed, I’ll net the fry once they are bigger, and put them in the other tank, until I achieve the look I like. I’m trying to breed more color into them, with the spots on the tail. I have two males that match the look I want except for the spots, so one is in with the females with the spited tails. The other tank had the drab ones, excess males, tetras, pleco, and betta young. The betta young will continue to help cull the guppies population.

Attachments

• 1578546F-6BE6-4893-850E-AF2EB643C8F5.jpeg
    1578546F-6BE6-4893-850E-AF2EB643C8F5.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 3943810F-3350-4962-A24A-DCE56BAC8F00.jpeg
    3943810F-3350-4962-A24A-DCE56BAC8F00.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Our big pleco passed away. Not sure why, but figure temps, and possibly lack of food he’d eat was maybe part of it. Bad keeping on my part, I know. I’m doubting the heater in that tank works well enough to combat the draft that’s been caused by opening the back door. Long story there, but we have momma dog and 4 new pups in the back room, cause that mom and my sons dog fight, but if we had left her outside, all the pups would be dead. Anyway, that requires us letting her in and out, the draft from that door goes right into the sun room, and I suspect dropped the temps enough to contribute to the fish death. So just did a massive water change when I realized he wasn’t just hiding in his usual spot, but had died. That led to rearranging that tank, and I suspect I’ll be redoing it again with substrate in a month or more. I’ll pull about half an inch of the litter substrate from the other tank, reducing chances of anaorobic bacteria forming pockets. Then replant the various lillies I have in shallower pots, as the tall length is causing leaves to dry out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Turns out my guppies like betta pellets just fine, and the betta nibbled the guppies flake food.

I feed my guppies pellets. They much prefer pellets over flake. There are two brands I really like, The Hikari Fancy Guppy is a smaller more omnivorous floating pellet that they can eat immediately, the Omega One Mini Pellets is a little bit larger and only the biggest females can eat it immediately, but they do peck at it and then eat it off the bottom after it softens a bit and it is a superior meat-based food. Most flake food is mostly wheat. I also feed Hikari First Bites to my guppy fry (of course all the fish eat it but the babies do get some and it's the teeny littlest pellets). I have had huge success with these foods for breeding my guppies. They also like hard water so I've added sea shells and dead bleached coral to the tank to harden the water (and also a small splash of Seachem Replenish). I've have so many guppies I have to give away bags of them on Craigslist.
Omega One Color Mini Pellets
Hikari Fancy Guppy
Hikari First Bites

I'm currently going a different direction with my color breeding as it turns out the yellows look the best in the pond. I hope to have a full tank of bright yellows come summer for the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I feed my guppies pellets. They much prefer pellets over flake. There are two brands I really like, The Hikari Fancy Guppy is a smaller more omnivorous floating pellet that they can eat immediately, the Omega One Mini Pellets is a little bit larger and only the biggest females can eat it immediately, but they do peck at it and then eat it off the bottom after it softens a bit and it is a superior meat-based food. Most flake food is mostly wheat. I also feed Hikari First Bites to my guppy fry (of course all the fish eat it but the babies do get some and it's the teeny littlest pellets). I have had huge success with these foods for breeding my guppies. They also like hard water so I've added sea shells and dead bleached coral to the tank to harden the water (and also a small splash of Seachem Replenish). I've have so many guppies I have to give away bags of them on Craigslist.
Omega One Color Mini Pellets
Hikari Fancy Guppy
Hikari First Bites

I'm currently going a different direction with my color breeding as it turns out the yellows look the best in the pond. I hope to have a full tank of bright yellows come summer for the pond!
I seem to have a strain of guppiesthat are almost a pale icy seafoam green. I presume that came from the pale blue. However, in bright white they just look kinda white. I'm going to try strengthing that color line, I wonder of adding some yellow would deepen the green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I hate this phone. I somehow keep missing the space bar, running my words together unless I focus to make sure it spaces, and the camera sucks. And apparently of I wish to try to post pictures, I'll have to click attachments, then take a picture.
A coworker gave me some aquatic plants, I'll be setting those up in the betta tank, and I'm planning on moving my waterlillies out to my mini pond. That thing has tons of hair algae, and one Lilly I apparently missed last fall.
Ah ha. Playing around and figuredout how to attach one of the blurry aquarium pictures. That is one of my seafoam males behind a semi red one.
20200420_231517.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm presuming it's a cross of the icy blue and the yellowish offspring of the orange. I'm going to try and breed them exclusive this summer, maybe add some stronger yellow female's. Weather is almost warm enough for that, but I'll still have to devise a cover to keep the kingfisher out. And some extra filters. If I get plenty, and finances are good, I'll think about selling some, and possibly give shipping some a try, if you have an indoor aquarium for guppies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They are not show quality. I was just looking up green guppies, ended up looking at show quality ones, and mine are far inferior at this time. So I'll play with what I've got, adding yellow female's to green males, and blue males to green female's, then cross the offspring.

Ask a Question