Big Lou is not as big........

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Congratz Lou! It's a very hard road, wait loss. Great job!
@TgM, it most certainly does change your lifestyle alot :)
My oldest boy was 15 when he started taking insulin, does your daughter do carb to insulin ratio? Jon (my son) has found it has been much easier to keep tighter control of his blood sugar. I am so proud of him, because he could have rebelled and it just could have been a disaster. It's very hard for children to deal with the changes, Hell its hard for adults lol. He will be 19 in November, he has owned his disease and lost 80 lbs by doing Muay Thai and eating right.

4 shots a day and counting carbs, she's done well but had a few small bumps in the road. It's all about diet and structure. Whole family eats better, not saying it's a good thing it happened but it's change our eating habits for the better.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
lou...brown rice is o.k...white rice is the culprit. pasta, breads, anything with white flour is bad. sweet potatoes are fine, white potatoes are bad.
carbs are to be watched...slow carbs are what you want...they're slowly
metabolized, so no blood sugar spikes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
use stevia instead of those fake sugars .It is a plant and does not cause all the stomach problems those fake sugars loose .Not sure if it is OK with what your doctor has mapped out for you ,but you could ask to make sure .Those fake sugars can cause stomach cancers

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stevia and monk fruit, both are great sweeteners, both plant based. We eat a bunch of freeka, guinoa, brown rice, I make the breads with a lot of grains, minimal flour.

Reaction score
Congratulations and keep going. My Ac1 was in prediabetes range. That was my wake up call. 2years later and 50 pounds less I'm high normal. Zucchini spaghetti is a great replacement. I use one of those veghetti gadgets and I don't miss noodles. Replace potatoes with Zucchini in potato salad and you wont know the difference.
me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Congrats!! Keep it up!

use stevia instead of those fake sugars .It is a plant and does not cause all the stomach problems those fake sugars loose .Not sure if it is OK with what your doctor has mapped out for you ,but you could ask to make sure .Those fake sugars can cause stomach cancers

Stevia is a great alternative to sugar. However, I would be remiss not to point out that no sugar substitutes have been proven to cause cancer. In the early days of sugar substitutes, there was some evidence of bladder cancer and lymphomas in rats. However, the mechanism responsible for the cancers were only applicable to rats, not humans, and further studies showed no linkage to cancers. All of the artificial sweeteners currently in use have been studied extensively for links to cancer, and none were found. None of the sweeteners have ever been linked to stomach cancer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is a short and "sweet" of what I have heard about artificial sweetners.

"
  • A recent study found that saccharin and aspartame cause greater weight gain than sugar, unrelated to caloric intake
  • Research has repeatedly shown that artificial no- or low-calorie sweeteners can stimulate your appetite, increase cravings for carbohydrates, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain
  • Real sugar allows your body to accurately determine that it has received enough calories, thereby activating satiety signaling. Without the calories, your appetite is activated by the sweet taste, but as your body keeps waiting for the calories to come, sensations of hunger remain
  • Aspartame may also cause weight gain because phenylalanine and aspartic acid – the two amino acids that make up 90 percent of aspartame -- are known to rapidly stimulate the release of insulin and leptin; two hormones that are intricately involved with satiety and fat storage. Insulin and leptin are also the primary hormones that regulate your metabolism

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We started using agave nectar for some of the sweetness my honey misses

It is low glycemic with a glycemic index of 39 or less.

Reaction score
The artificial sweeteners, idk I just feel somewhere down the line it's causing problems in our health along with everything else that's fake we have consumed thru the years. I don't use margarine never have, and it turns out its bad for you. I truely believe that if we eat what God provided for us we will be healthier, fats and all. Eggs are not bad for you, animal fats are not bad for you, we need a certain amount of fat daily for our bodies to function. When these scientist start modifying what God provided us, to give us more yields and Bigger corn ears. And adding chemicals and fungicides to the seeds , look what that is doing to the bees! The very things that keep our world fed!
Everything in moderation.
Ok.... Soapbox is over :cool:

Ask a Question