Is my pump too big?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I bought a Laguna Pressure Flow Clean 2100 today at a LFS. I was sold a Laguna Powerjet 2900.pump to go with it. It seems a little big for this filter. Already have it in the pond. At the time of purchase I didn't think about it. Looking now, online sites recommend the 1500. Should I exchange it? Or will extending the hose slow down the flow? My pond is a 700 gallon above ground. Roughly 10 feet by 4 feet by 29 inches high.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
According to the specs from the Laguna site, 2100gph is the maximum flow for the filter. Any thing over that could damage the filter. I would exchange it. The 1500 would be good as it would turn your water 2 times per hour.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can add a splitter to the pump and just let part of the water from the pump to dump basck into the pond for extra aeration .Laguna sells the splitter and it has valves on it to adjust the flow of water to the filter and to the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with sissy use the extra flow to airate or for extra circulation. lack of movement always seems to be a problem in small ponds

Ask a Question