bio filter

Reaction score
I am currently building the 50 gallon bio filter that Dr. Dave shows. I have some scrubby pads in it but I'm not sure if I have enough. I have about 2 grocery bags full. Also do I need the bio balls or stone in the bottom?:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
welcome to the forum...you dont need to make it heavy with the rocks,,and you can use the bio balls for your first layer on top of the grate if you want ..the more filter mat you can loosely fit in the better...Like DrDave i have cut up pipes in one ...any thing that has a lot of surface area will work

Reaction score
Thanks I get some more scrubby pads and whatever else I can find to throw in there.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
doctor case meant pvc pipe or tubing... dont go filling your barrel,tank, or whatever with copper, steel,or cast iron..LOL

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The tubing I use is the 1/2" black irrigation tubing that comes in long rolls. I cut 7000 pieces 1 1/2" long using a paper cutter. It took my gardener 2 hours to do it.
The nice thing about these is they will not deteriorate over time and I will never have to do a deep cleaning.

Reaction score
I never thought of irrigation pipe, that would be easy to do. Thanks. I have enough scrubby pads now. I have had a few challenges with water flow. I am putting a bigger pump in so that will move enough water but now I don't know what size of discharge I will need. It is a 950 gph coming into my barrel with 3/4 inch line I have a 1 1/4 in discharge is this going to be enough?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You have pressure water comming in..but it is gravity going out...I always think bigger is better,,If the 1 1/4 is not enough you can add a 2nd outlet or just go bigger..try it and just see what happens

Reaction score
I have my filter up and running and WOW ! What a difference. Thanks you guys
:coolgleema:

Ask a Question