Bird Habitat Help Needed

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Very near our pond is a massive trumpet bramble (thornless) sitting atop our and side yard neighbors fences. This bramble is currently home to many small birds. Unbeknowance to us this bramble along with the from ground trumpet vines have severly damaged our neighbors side yard fence. We hope to somehow cut the entangled bramble structure free then relocate it to a freestanding purpose built stand. After this is accomplished we can deal with both fences and eradication of the destructive trumpet vine.

I need to know if moving the birds natural home can be successful? I dreed the idea of harming the birds habitat yet it must be done. We truly need some knowledgeable help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Different kinds of birds like different habits. Birds don't really have homes and this time of year in N Texas I don't think any would be nesting. No "trumpet vine" I know of provides much in the way of food, just some insects. But many plants are called "trumpet vine". I wouldn't be overly concerned as I assume the bramble is just providing shelter from predators. I assume the birds can find suitable shelter elsewhere. Normally shelter isn't a limiting factor in N Texas, it's food, then water.

If you wanted to build a habit specifically for birds you should first determine what kinds of birds. Insect, seed, or nectar eaters for example. Then figure out the limiting factor for those birds, like food in winter, or water in summer, and provide that resource to get them thru the hardest times. There are a very few kinds of birds that have limiting nest sites, owls, wood ducks, wood peckers, etc . For the most part building a habit for nesting is for attracting birds more than increasing overall numbers.

Consider whether what you build could be an ambush site for cats. In urban settings pet cats and feral cats are a huge killer of birds and can almost wipe out local populations. So for example if you provide a watering and bathing spot you want no cover for maybe 4-6' around the water. I think woody bush type plants near the water with lots of branches, but no leaves gives birds a place to perch to look for cats and the branches make it hard for birds like hawks from swooping in. Also can make it hard for cats to pounce.

There are lots of backyard habitat groups that provide info. While they'll a good source you still have to be skeptical. Info can be way over hyped or just plain bad. These are very well meaning people but many are untrained at all and not aware of what's true and what's not.

I think in dry climates like N Texas a pond is about the best thing you can do for birds as long as it isn't a cat ambush site. Here's a pond I built for birds. It wasn't a huge benefit for watering in summer since San Jose generally had plenty of urban water for birds, it did seem to be a benefit in winter for bathing which can improve bird health. Huge flocks of wintering robins for example would use the pond, maybe 20-30 birds at a time and it would take several hours for the entire flock to cycle thru. Kind of amazingly they never seemed to make a mess at all. Other birds also used the pond including hummingbirds which perched on the edge of the waterfall to bath and they also drank from the falls.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My reply was going to be similar to WB's, in that this time of year birds really aren't "nesting," though I'm sure they do go somewhere for shelter during the night [have always wondered where birds go at night........]. So this is probably a good time of year to relocate the bramble or vine since it should be dormant. Then when spring-time emerges, and the plants start to leaf out, the birds will find it again. Since it was successful in the old spot, you might want to orient it in the same way for its new location, if that will be possible: facing same direction, same amt. of sunlight, same amt. of water, etc. Of course, if it has to be cut back a lot for the move & transplant, might take it a few seasons to catch up.

And if there ARE birds calling it home right now, you may just have to accept that they are going to be uprooted [pun intended] along with the plant. Chances are they will go back as long as it still offers the kind of shelter they want.

Do you have pictures? Would love to see what it looks like. Is it actually 2 separate plants? And are you trying to keep both, or eliminate one of them? Or is it the fence that you're trying to recover, to use for a different planting?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My reply was going to be similar to WB's, in that this time of year birds really aren't "nesting," though I'm sure they do go somewhere for shelter during the night [have always wondered where birds go at night........]. So this is probably a good time of year to relocate the bramble or vine since it should be dormant. Then when spring-time emerges, and the plants start to leaf out, the birds will find it again. Since it was successful in the old spot, you might want to orient it in the same way for its new location, if that will be possible: facing same direction, same amt. of sunlight, same amt. of water, etc. Of course, if it has to be cut back a lot for the move & transplant, might take it a few seasons to catch up.

And if there ARE birds calling it home right now, you may just have to accept that they are going to be uprooted [pun intended] along with the plant. Chances are they will go back as long as it still offers the kind of shelter they want.

Do you have pictures? Would love to see what it looks like. Is it actually 2 separate plants? And are you trying to keep both, or eliminate one of them? Or is it the fence that you're trying to recover, to use for a different planting?

Both fences will be replaced with one double front sided cedar fence. All of the trumpet vines will be poisoned with root killer drops. The trumpet vine, although beautiful is far to aggressive and destructive. Since I wrote the original post I've learned that it may be nearly impossible to move the cut off bramble. Thanks for your advice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built some very simple bird boxes, out of cedar fence planks. Put up 20 or so, The birds love them, even have blue birds nesting. I open the side and pull out old nesting every winter.

Do you have the ability to put up some houses?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I built some very simple bird boxes, out of cedar fence planks. Put up 20 or so, The birds love them, even have blue birds nesting. I open the side and pull out old nesting every winter.

Do you have the ability to put up some houses?

Sure do Addy. That sounds like a great idea! Can you give me examples for good locations?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have them throughout my yard. Some are on fence posts placed throughout the landscaping, others are nailed to my fence, and then I have quite a few gourd bird houses that are hung from trees. I have about 10 different bird houses throughout my yard.

In this pic you can see one of the ones I build that is attached to a fence post.
P1030940.JPG

this is one of the gourd ones I made out of the gourds I grew several years back.
P1040845.JPG

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Give the birds some cover and they will come Big lou
All they want is some thing with leaves during the winter

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have several small evergreen bushes that the birds like to hang around in the winter, it gives them cover. I also have some pine trees that provide cover for them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put them on a long board attached to our fence. Some attached to trees, some on the pillars on our porch. Last year every one had a bird nesting, more than once.

You can seen them on the fence past the yard truck.

DSC02550.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wish, we have had a total of maybe 5 inches this year. Judging by the pile of apple limbs, the yard truck, that was last winter. (I have moved them since lol) I was looking for a picture that would show the houses.
Here you can see them past the pond, on the fence
I have instructions for making them, you hinge one side to be able to open and remove old nesting. The openings are bluebird, wren size. Keeps starlings and larger birds out of them. No landing area
DSC03278.jpg

Ask a Question