Bird killing pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So yesterday I pulled the 4th dead bird out of my pond. 3 times I found them in the skimmer, another time just floating in the shallows. These seem to be baby birds. But I see no nests anywhere. This has happened over the course of a month or so. What gives? Is this kinda normal? All my fish are fine, even the extra hundred baby minnow or goldfish that I don’t know what to do with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have bullfrogs?

Mr. Bigg.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Probably? I have dozens of frogs of all types that hang around the pond, but not sure if there are bullfrogs.

But these are whole birds, minus the feathers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Baby birds sometimes get pushed out of the nest by other birds - are there trees near the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Baby birds sometimes get pushed out of the nest by other birds - are there trees near the pond?
Nope. But the pond butts right up to a shed that sits on runners—so there is ample space under the shed and I wonder if I have a nest there?

A7FA305A-745F-4010-8AE4-8DC1C85AFC05.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I've not ever heard of birds nesting at ground level, but I sure don't know the whole world of birds! We've had nests in gutters, under soffits, in eave vents, dry vents, decorative wreaths on the front door - birds do what the have to do! Could they be nesting somewhere on that house behind your fence? The mystery is still why they're ending up in your pond dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are trees across the yard, but I see no nests. We have a bird feeder that attracts lots of birds about 25 feet from the pond. It’s a mystery. Maybe it’s time to call Ace Ventura....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Maybe your neibour hates baby birds chirping in the morning. I have one that shoots the crows that wake him at 5am.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive had babies go in for a drink (thinking it's shallow I think) and not be able to get back out, maybe that's it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could be, I have a gravel shelf that the water is usually about an inch higher that birds use frequently. Then it drops off straight down to 3.5 feet.

Ask a Question