addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me this is totally clear water..................just the bog working, but it is a big bog.
20190421_130557.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
To me this is totally clear water..................just the bog working, but it is a big bog. View attachment 123609
Wow! That's unbelievably clear! I'm envious!
When you say the bog is big, what percentage of your pond surface is the surface of your bog?
I'm just trying to get an idea, since 30% is recommended when keeping koi.
You dont have koi, but have a lot of shubunkin and that bog is really doing a great job.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would say around 1/3 the size of the pond. The bog is 26ft or so and 4 feet wide. The pond is 27 feet or so and up to 20 feet wide. Not as wide close to the shallow end. So the average would equal around 1/3 the size, around.

I built it after reading a lot of big pond builders sites, back in 2010. Some were koi keepers, talking about bogs and how to build and use for filtering a big pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would say around 1/3 the size of the pond. The bog is 26ft or so and 4 feet wide. The pond is 27 feet or so and up to 20 feet wide. Not as wide close to the shallow end. So the average would equal around 1/3 the size, around.

I built it after reading a lot of big pond builders sites, back in 2010. Some were koi keepers, talking about bogs and how to build and use for filtering a big pond.
In my youth, i was great at math, but it's been quite a few years:sneaky:...but I'm thinking 1/3 is about 33%?
Before retirement, my job required more of figuring out angles and sides of triangles, mainly the hypotenuse using pythagorean theorem, but not much with percentages.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pondered and did a lot of homework before i build my pond and seeing as this is still " bogs" a fairly new idea to pond keeping it is doing nothing that mother nature hasn't done fore ever. I have also kept reef and planted aquaria and one thing i am a firm believer in is over sized filtration. The sand filters the weirs and screens can do a fantastic job but they all require maintenance. Where i travel a lot i don't have the ability to always be here when things clog or go wrong. so i tried to build it where i can walk away. and it just so happens the bog principal is just that set it and for get it . I am beyond happy with the results my pond is 5 feet deep and i can watch the baby koi swim and feed from the bottom. i can and have turned the pond so turbid you couldn't see 6" into the water. but by morning the water is crystal clear again . again my bog is over sized i have a 18x10x7 foot deep bog with a snorkel and aqua blox and a second standard 2" pvc pipe wth gravel a foot deep it's like 8'x6'. the later is so easy to build .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i tried to build it where i can walk away.
I can totally ignore the pond all summer. The only "maintenance" I do is cleaning plants out of the stream bed. Occasional plant removal from the bog.
The fish have plenty to eat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is a new video just taken today and it is after weeks of 90 plus temps . I agree with Addy, i can't say enough good things about the bog filters thus far. After only a year the pond is only getting better day by day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Absolutely gorgeous @Gbbudd2 ! I love the sound of the camera underwater... like a whole other world!
Thanks lisa. the bog is doing it's thing very pleased thus far now i just need to work on the bog plants and landscaping . Yes it is all planted but now it's more this works this doesn't and this will come back that didn't and make mass plantings . not the 1000 varieties i have now. but it i still not to tuff to look at .
I wish, I wish, I wish I was a fish

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I finished and installed the sand and gravel filter. I hope once my bog gets established and growing well I can shut it down.
IMG_0723.JPG

Reaction score
Nice. You’ve a more complex pond system... so can you go over your plumbing? If I ever upgrade to a above ground pump I wanna know how you are running things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Does your barrel usually have a higher water level ?
The water level on the barrel is flowing about 1/2 of the 2" return line to about 4" above my bog that is my middle level of the system.
The outflow line is not visible on the left
The 2" line on this side of the barrel is the flush line of the S&G filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Nice. You’ve a more complex pond system... so can you go over your plumbing? If I ever upgrade to a above ground pump I wanna know how you are running things.
Nevermore - The main pond is the lower one and is 7'w and close to 5' deep. There is a bottom drain and a Skimmer both with 2" valves before the Sequence Series 750 Model 4200SEQ12 pump. This feeds the 6'x12' bog with 12" of pea gravel at the mid level and another 7' pond on the top level. The top pond has 12" of pea gravel and 27" of water, this pond is planted with water lilly and hopefully does well with the under gravel feed from the lower pond. I added the S&G filter to hopefully clear the water more so I can see the bottom of the lower pond from my deck above. See my pond build thread for pictures of the pond

Ask a Question