Birds in dying in pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have had the same pond for 5 years. Small, flat rocks with perennials in-between and a waterfall. I have found 4 birds in the past few days in the pond, I managed to save 3. This is so distressing and I don't know why it is happening. Things are exactly the same as always. Please can you help. I have drained pond, its a sad place now,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well. That seems like a big response to a dead bird. One thing you learn when you keep a pond - nature is cruel and unforgiving. Everyone and everything is both predator and prey, with few exceptions.

Anyway - do you have any bullfrogs in your pond? When you saved the birds, were they drowning? Stuck? What was causing the issue?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Can make a smaller version of something like this if they are drowning.

1686522407275.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would doubt birds just suddenly decided to go into a pond and couldn't figure out a way out - that would seem like a big coincidence. Something has changed/happened. Maybe the nest was over the pond? No idea - just throwing out some possibilities.

Ask a Question