Biting visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all,

I've got a dilemma with mosquitos stopping by for a meal at our expense and doesn't even leave a tip, not that we care for any tips.

I've got a 1500 gallon pond with two settling chambers that has exposed tops. I've recently added bubbling air stones to agitate the top 3 inches of water in the settling chambers. I leave the tops open because lots of damselflies and a few dragonflies visit and breed there. I understand they both control mosquitos. Unfortunately, a few pesky mosquitos still find my veins for a quick pit stop.

Pond has hundreds of gambusia while the settling chambers have dozens. There are no mosquito larvae anywhere to be found in the water. If any mosquitos check in, I doubt any offsprings will ever check out. I also have about two dozen koi ranging from 3 inches to 3 feet.

I'm not allergic to the bites but my wife and son are. When I get bitten, the usual small inflammation and 15 minutes later, it goes away. My son and wife get golf ball size bumps when they get bitten and lasts for a few days.

I've been reading about propane mosquito traps but the responses are mixed.

I'm looking into plants and flowers that may repel the mosquitos or attract good insects to control the mosquitos .

I really don't want to get rid of my 15year old pond.

Anyone have suggestions that they've had good results first hand?

I'm in the Los Angeles, Southern California area.

Thanks all.

Chuck

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I suggest mosquito repellent. Not to say that in a sarcastic way but it works for us. It seems the little bloodsuckers are on the rise everywhere and seem to carry more disease lately. It sounds to me like you have your bases covered to keep them at bay in your pond so there isn't much more to be done with that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Have you considered planting citronella? It has a wonderful citrusy fragrance and is a natural mosquito repellant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've even thought about leaving a tiki torch with citronella oil burning 24/7 if needed. I'll definitely look into the citronella plant. I do have Rosemary plants near the pond but it doesn't appear to help Michu.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lemon grass grows great in my filters and helps with mosquito's .I also keep air stones in mine .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Use Mosquito Dunks on a regular basis. Our county suggests all pond owners use them. Very effective. Even more effective when combined with Gambusia's. Available at numerous stores.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92460-1643-MODU1_0__?productId=3047384

Thanks Big Lou but it's not the larvae that I'm having problems. It's their moms. One thing is absolute certain, any moms dropping off eggs thinking she'll continue her bloodline is in for a rude awakening.

I read up on the citronella plant and by itself it doesn't repel the mosquitoes. This is according to the Bonnie's Plant website. You'd have to crush it and lather it on your skin.

Also read up on diy fan traps and zappers but that results in indiscriminate deaths of all insects, good and bad. I'd hate to kill off all the damselflies and lady bugs that are beneficial to the cause.

If neighbors are, accidentally or not, breeding the mosquitoes and my pond just happens to attract them when passing by, I may have to throw in the towel and go with insect repellent sprays, just hate to have to do it all the time. It just sucks that I can't even enjoy the pond without getting bitten.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The pond isn't the issue - we had way more mosquitoes in our backyard before we put our pond in - there's just no way to completely repel them, especially if you have shrubs, bushes or grass. Your best bet is to protect yourself - or in your case, wife and son - with long sleeves and pants and using repellent sprays. We use spray sparingly and then just hop in the shower quick before bed to clean it off. I don't like using chemical sprays, but it's better than the alternative.

We've tried natural sprays and they work fine when the bugs are light, but haven't found anything natural that will beat them off when the hordes roll in.

We also find the mosquitoes are at their worst right at dusk. We will many times go in for an hour or so to avoid the worst of them and then come back out after dark and it's fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The pond isn't the issue - we had way more mosquitoes in our backyard before we put our pond in - there's just no way to completely repel them, especially if you have shrubs, bushes or grass. Your best bet is to protect yourself - or in your case, wife and son - with long sleeves and pants and using repellent sprays. We use spray sparingly and then just hop in the shower quick before bed to clean it off. I don't like using chemical sprays, but it's better than the alternative.

We've tried natural sprays and they work fine when the bugs are light, but haven't found anything natural that will beat them off when the hordes roll in.

We also find the mosquitoes are at their worst right at dusk. We will many times go in for an hour or so to avoid the worst of them and then come back out after dark and it's fine.

Hmm...our entire backyard is completely surrounded by tall bushes and bougavilla plants. A good 2-3 feet from the property line inwards is enclosed by 15 feet tall bushes and trees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Mosquito dunks to each body of water monthly. That oughta fix it.

Else time to get a professional.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have 10 ponds, some move with fast water some slow water, zero mosquitoes. The people on a street away from us complain about mosquitoes. All the pond critters take good care of them, eating them up. And my 60 some bird houses, bat house, etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi all,

I've got a dilemma with mosquitos stopping by for a meal at our expense and doesn't even leave a tip, not that we care for any tips.

I've got a 1500 gallon pond with two settling chambers that has exposed tops. I've recently added bubbling air stones to agitate the top 3 inches of water in the settling chambers. I leave the tops open because lots of damselflies and a few dragonflies visit and breed there. I understand they both control mosquitos. Unfortunately, a few pesky mosquitos still find my veins for a quick pit stop.

Pond has hundreds of gambusia while the settling chambers have dozens. There are no mosquito larvae anywhere to be found in the water. If any mosquitos check in, I doubt any offsprings will ever check out. I also have about two dozen koi ranging from 3 inches to 3 feet.

I'm not allergic to the bites but my wife and son are. When I get bitten, the usual small inflammation and 15 minutes later, it goes away. My son and wife get golf ball size bumps when they get bitten and lasts for a few days.

I've been reading about propane mosquito traps but the responses are mixed.

I'm looking into plants and flowers that may repel the mosquitos or attract good insects to control the mosquitos .

I really don't want to get rid of my 15year old pond.

Anyone have suggestions that they've had good results first hand?

I'm in the Los Angeles, Southern California area.

Thanks all.

Chuck

Mosquito Dunks definitely work on killing the larvae and you can put one or 2 in a skimmer or the settling chamber, etc. It won't hurt the koi. I've used them for years. You can find a less expensive generic but here's a link below. Also planting garlic works to keep them away and can work well but garlic has to be planted in the fall before a frost. It then comes up in the Spring. Actually you can plant some around now since it is only as a mosquito repellant.

http://www.amazon.com/Summit-BC4099...89363&sr=1-3&keywords=mosquito+dunks+100+pack

Ask a Question