Black Fish

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
As i slowly and steadily build my pond, i've also been lookin at fish. i wanted a mix of goldfish in the pond including various "fancy" goldfish but i've learned that it's not a good idea to mix the the fancy Oranda's and such w/ Comets and Shubunkins b/c they are slower and timid and will be out-competed for food. well i don't want to starve or stress out the pretty tail fish, so i will settle for the more athletic single tails. Another trade off of not having fancy goldfish is that i would not be able to have an all black goldfish like the Black Moor. :(

these:
black moor goldfish.jpg

or i thought so b/c...

in my search i found these!

^ they are Blackout Comet Goldfish and they look awesum!

(y)

blackout comet goldfish.jpg

:D :love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Two thoughts:
1. will they stay black? I've had lots of these in my pond that eventually turn beautiful, deep orange and
2. when they are all black, they are nearly impossible to see in the pond. There's a reason the more colorful fish are popular!

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Two thoughts:
1. will they stay black? I've had lots of these in my pond that eventually turn beautiful, deep orange and
2. when they are all black, they are nearly impossible to see in the pond. There's a reason the more colorful fish are popular!
good questions!

1. further research shows that this fish does keep its black as it grows and matures. this article/blog post from May 2019 figures that is prob the result that it is a hybridization of Koi x Goldfish: https://coolfish.network/color-and-color-changes-in-goldfish And this source (https://puregoldfish.com/koi-breeding-together) points out that it has barbels and can grow rather large - up to 20inches! one reader mentioned in the comments that her Blackout Comet was even able reproduce! what an interesting fish!

2. i'm fine w/ that. i would love to see shadows lurking in the pond but sources also mention these fish have very good personalities and will comeup to beg for food, so thats another way one can see/interact with them. also i come from the reptile hobby, so i love all sorts of morphs and paintjobs in animals and plan to have a variety of colorful goldfish but the all blacks are so cool and a must have for me.

i hope i can find them in local stores. i would prefer to have 2 or 3 examples, but seems i need to order a minimum on 5 if i buy directly online. eitherway, i volunteer as tribute to get these fish and report back my experience w/ them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a lot of black fish. I'm sure many are cross bred or hybrids of goldfish and koi. I have read this happens a lot. They were all born in the pond, I never bought any fish that color. Some are all black, some have gold or bronze colored bellies and some have beautiful flowing fins.

I have koi and many goldfish varieties, including shubunkin.

So, the point being.... it may take time, but you might eventually get some of these black fish you desire.

Oh yeah, they used to be hard to see until I built the bog filter. Now my water is so clear I can see every black one, even the tiny black fry.

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I have a lot of black fish. I'm sure many are cross bred or hybrids of goldfish and koi. I have read this happens a lot. They were all born in the pond, I never bought any fish that color. Some are all black, some have gold or bronze colored bellies and some have beautiful flowing fins.
nice! do u have any pix to share? i don't plan to breed intentionally but i guess it happens.

I have koi and many goldfish varieties, including shubunkin.

So, the point being.... it may take time, but you might eventually get some of these black fish you desire.

Oh yeah, they used to be hard to see until I built the bog filter. Now my water is so clear I can see every black one, even the tiny black fry.
i will also have a variety, just goldfish tho for now. also i will prob still get these tho so i can have my big black shadows right outta the gate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I find it very hard to get decent pictures of the fish. I have gotten a few, but not many. The problem with taking cellphone pictures seems to be two factors. The reflection off the water and the water movement from the pumps, etc.
I can shut the power off and cure the movement problem, but the reflection is still there.
Once I tried placing different lens filters from my old film SLR camera in front of my cellphone, but that didn't work out either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a dark olivey black solid colored shubunkin with no visible spots. It's underside has a hint of yellow. It was in with the calico shubunkins. The salesperson at the pond and garden store said they get some solid dark ones mixed in that are usually culled before they get to their store, but some slip through. If you look in shubunkin tanks you may see solid colors from time to time. Mine is under a year old so who knows if it will change color. My friend liked my dark one and went to the same store. She got a very dark shubunkin but with some spots visible, and a beautiful bluish gray color on its mouth and chin, with some orange visible. Both are lovely fish. And some of the hardest fish to get photos of! Both are much prettier in person than the picture captures. Mine is a few months older and already much bigger. The coloring on hers is spectacular in person with the longest fins I have seen in a goldfish. Mine is rather dolphin like and I named him Flipper. I can't wait to see how both grow, assuming the frogs and raccoons and whatever else do not get them before they grow old. Mine is the solid dark one towards the top of the first pic with the 2 goldies and shubunkins. Hers is the second pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_073720.jpg
    IMG_20200820_073720.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 240
  • -8967355332283884958.jpg
    -8967355332283884958.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:

geo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two comets and two fancy fan-tail gold fish. They are getting along swimmingly.

Reaction score
Hi I'm just bumping this up as I've been reading a lot of misinformation about the black "comet" goldfish which I wish to correct.

Firstly they're not a hybrid between any other species of fish, hundred percent all goldfish. They were produced using black moors, selecting away from telescope eyes, short bodies and double tail. This was a relatively easy process as in any moor fry batch there are fish like these. The Moor's or black telescope's characteristics are quite obvious in the finnage. They have a high dorsal and enlarged rounded pectorals and a longish tail fin but by no means as long as that of a comet. They also do not have barbels, none at all not even tiny ones. This is a unique fertile breed of goldfish. I find the finnage and look of them highly attractive.
Secondly they don't change colour, at least nor do most black moors. Black Moors have a very stable black colouration, they may get slightly silvery when very old but usually they keep that terrific velvet black over their entire bodies. When selecting these to purchase a couple will have silver bellies, these are inferior fish but not unattractive. They do not change to red if they ever change but to plain silver. You do get the occasional telescope type eye unfortunately but this is not very pronounced when you do.
Thirdly they do not grow huge, nothing vaguely carp like, they grow about the same size as a large common goldfish. They appear quite streamline as youngsters but when well fed develop sturdy bodies like other goldfish.
Lastly they're not called black comets, they have a name in Chinese, they come from China. Unfortunately I cannot translate the name as the seller says there is no direct translation to English. I have five of these fish in my ponds, I bought them in Hong Kong from this man who knows their history and provenance. I have been seeing them around for at least four years now at the pet fish market. All have been highly active fish as are mine. I expect mine to spawn this summer as they are jut now coming into breeding age and size.

There is a truly interesting thing going on with my fish. In the small lake where they live there are at least three hundred common goldfish all red but for a dozen or so hand picked London shubunkin (I am breeding towards a very dark red strain of common goldfish) and the five blacks. The interesting thing is the blacks all keep together in their own shoal. Why this should be I have no idea. Feeding time all the fish go nuts for the pellets freely mixing in one big jumble but not the blacks they circle and take food off the edges together in their own shoal. I've not seen this before except in younger blackish olive fish that are still to colour up, however they do it because they are still small and easy prey, often chased so stick together, safety in numbers. Why the blacks do it I have no clue but they do!

Hope that helps anyone thinking of getting any of these. They are fantastic fish extremely agile and lovely to watch with their rounded fins and high dorsal, very expressive and animated. Pure black wonders I just wonder why no one made them before quite frankly when they had the material all along in the Moor. Certainly remiss. It's a sort of much improved garden worthy moor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi I'm just bumping this up as I've been reading a lot of misinformation about the black "comet" goldfish which I wish to correct.

Firstly they're not a hybrid between any other species of fish, hundred percent all goldfish. They were produced using black moors, selecting away from telescope eyes, short bodies and double tail. This was a relatively easy process as in any moor fry batch there are fish like these. The Moor's or black telescope's characteristics are quite obvious in the finnage. They have a high dorsal and enlarged rounded pectorals and a longish tail fin but by no means as long as that of a comet. They also do not have barbels, none at all not even tiny ones. This is a unique fertile breed of goldfish. I find the finnage and look of them highly attractive.
Secondly they don't change colour, at least nor do most black moors. Black Moors have a very stable black colouration, they may get slightly silvery when very old but usually they keep that terrific velvet black over their entire bodies. When selecting these to purchase a couple will have silver bellies, these are inferior fish but not unattractive. They do not change to red if they ever change but to plain silver. You do get the occasional telescope type eye unfortunately but this is not very pronounced when you do.
Thirdly they do not grow huge, nothing vaguely carp like, they grow about the same size as a large common goldfish. They appear quite streamline as youngsters but when well fed develop sturdy bodies like other goldfish.
Lastly they're not called black comets, they have a name in Chinese, they come from China. Unfortunately I cannot translate the name as the seller says there is no direct translation to English. I have five of these fish in my ponds, I bought them in Hong Kong from this man who knows their history and provenance. I have been seeing them around for at least four years now at the pet fish market. All have been highly active fish as are mine. I expect mine to spawn this summer as they are jut now coming into breeding age and size.

There is a truly interesting thing going on with my fish. In the small lake where they live there are at least three hundred common goldfish all red but for a dozen or so hand picked London shubunkin (I am breeding towards a very dark red strain of common goldfish) and the five blacks. The interesting thing is the blacks all keep together in their own shoal. Why this should be I have no idea. Feeding time all the fish go nuts for the pellets freely mixing in one big jumble but not the blacks they circle and take food off the edges together in their own shoal. I've not seen this before except in younger blackish olive fish that are still to colour up, however they do it because they are still small and easy prey, often chased so stick together, safety in numbers. Why the blacks do it I have no clue but they do!

Hope that helps anyone thinking of getting any of these. They are fantastic fish extremely agile and lovely to watch with their rounded fins and high dorsal, very expressive and animated. Pure black wonders I just wonder why no one made them before quite frankly when they had the material all along in the Moor. Certainly remiss. It's a sort of much improved garden worthy moor.
I don't doubt the truth of your explanation and we always welcome all educational information. It sure seems like very sound information too, but I have some questions.

I'm wondering if you are applying this to all black or black/olive bellied fish including those that are born in many of our ponds where black moors are not present.
I have koi and various goldfish, comets, shubunkin in my pond. There are at least half a dozen black fish that are offspring. Some have the olive or golden bellies, some not. Some have long beautiful flowing fins, some not.

Also, there have been many members here that had black fish that later turned colorful.

Then there's the popular claim that these are goldfish/koi hybrids that are sterile, like most hybrids. These claims are all incorrect?

So, are there different types of black colored fish or are you saying there's some type of black moor gene carried by our goldfish or koi?

Again, not doubting your information, but are you possibly painting with too large of a brush by including all these black colored fish in your statement?

Thanks again for the history of the black moor breeding.

Reaction score
I find it very hard to get decent pictures of the fish. I have gotten a few, but not many. The problem with taking cellphone pictures seems to be two factors. The reflection off the water and the water movement from the pumps, etc.
I can shut the power off and cure the movement problem, but the reflection is still there.
Once I tried placing different lens filters from my old film SLR camera in front of my cellphone, but that didn't work out either.

I find that using polarized glasses or polarized sunglasses held up infront of the camera helps with the reflections... I think @addy1 might have posted some photos like this recently...?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Today I got a good look at one of my black colored fish. I believe this is it's 3rd Spring. It has beautiful flowing fins and had a lower belly that was olive or gold, not orange. Now it's belly is changing to orange and that orange is expanding from the belly to up it's sides now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I find that using polarized glasses or polarized sunglasses held up infront of the camera helps with the reflections... I think @addy1 might have posted some photos like this recently...?
It works great when I am too lazy to get my big camera with the polarized lens...............

Ask a Question